Got my 2014 Fish--Susky perch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my 2014 Fish--Susky perch

Happy New Year! Ventured out this morning on the Susquehanna to see if the yellow perch has increased in size and/or numbers.

Air Temp: Cold
    Water Temp: Cold

Caught around 20 yellow perch in a few hours. Still cannot find a keeper, my largest was close to 8". A few boaters were around also catching smaller perch....no females to be found. I was using a tandem 2" grub with 1 or 2 ounces of weight depending on the tide. Some others were using minnows, perch belly, and crappie tubes with a small piece of cut gulp! for scent. Maybe next time I will bring some smelly jelly. I talked to a boater getting ready to launch and he limited out a few days ago...jealous!

Most of my fish were caught in shallow water. Half in 20 FOW and the other half in 10 FOW under a few piers...fished in the 50 ft. water column that worked for me a few weeks ago and no strikes.
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

One of these years I'm going to try fishing for yperch during Jan. & Feb. I was watching reports last Jan/Feb but it seemed like perch action in the Perryville area never got started. We'll see what this winter brings. Was it 2 or 3 winters ago that everyone was catching lots of jumbo yperch? Seemed like during that winter yperch action stayed hot&heavy for several weeks. I been regretting ever since not going that winter.
    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

I hope to come up your way in January! Looking forward to grilled Perch!
      2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
      Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

Nice bro! Glad you got out to honor the New Year

YP seem to really like smelly jelly. There is a small pond close to my area that has a bunch of fish stocked for catch and release. Last winter when I found out about smelly jelly I decided to try it on this pond. Cast after cast I was pulling up YP that up until this point none of the people that I fished this pond with could ever find them (they would frequent it a 2-3 of times per week) . They were even beating the BGs to the lure!

The effects of the smelly jelly may not be as strong in moving water as they are in a pond but I'd think it would still do better than no scent at all.
        -Mustafa
        ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
        2016 Hobie Outback
        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Fished a few hours this morning without a bite. Strange. We got lots a couple of weeks ago. Fished 10 to 60 fow to try and locate them but nothing. Current was moving and wind was picking up making it feel even colder.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

Working...
          X