Ft. Wasington,Ictalrus, new yak, Super-cold water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ft. Wasington,Ictalrus, new yak, Super-cold water

Icatlrus and I decided to try for big cats at Ft Washington. I had a new yak and we wanted to try launching at the park.
    The launch worked OK, about 75yds down hill, but paved most of the way.

Bill fished near the drop off off the lighthouse but the swirling current, opposite wind led to a frustrating and costly breakoff. I was fishing farther up tide fishing the eddy

Eventully, I got a bite and christened my new boat with a smallish but eatable blue cat.

Sadly it was the only fish of the day! The water, with all the rain and ice melt was a surprising cold...35 F.....likely the cause of our frustration. But fun to get out.

After dialoguing with Kayak Kevin multiple times about his love affair with the OK Drifter, I decided to stop aspiring to boats a couldn't afford and buy an OldTown Striper (Drifter remake) when a new one came up for sale locally---CHEAP. It should be an upgrade from my Malibu2 and about 20lbs lighter. We'll see
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Congratulations on your new kayak. I hope it brings you many good fish.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I wanted to see a photo of Ictalarus holding an Ictalarus.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
        I wanted to see a photo of Ictalarus holding an Ictalarus.
        That Photo not available this trip! LOL....Though he caught some good ones last trip.

Comment

New kayak! Fun!

The no-skunk streak on your new yak begins....
          Last edited by chex; 01-13-2014, 09:15 AM.
          Mike S.
          Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
          3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

In a stiff wind that area can get dicey. Glad you avoided the skunk.
            Hurricane Skimmer 128
            WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Congrats on sliming the new yak!
              2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
              Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

Congrats on the new yak, Kevin!

Comment

Nice new ride Kevin! Grady and I were there from 9:30 till 11 fishing from shore at the lighthouse castnging into the rips, very deep water close to shore. Tried to get water temp but the thermometer Mike got fro Wal-Mart fell apart when it hit the water¥ what do u want for.99 tide and time running low left with no fish.
                  We were wondering how the launch would be from there

Comment

Congrats on the first fish in the new Yak.

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
                      Nice new ride Kevin! Grady and I were there from 9:30 till 11 fishing from shore at the lighthouse castnging into the rips, very deep water close to shore. Tried to get water temp but the thermometer Mike got fro Wal-Mart fell apart when it hit the water¥ what do u want for.99 tide and time running low left with no fish.
                      We were wondering how the launch would be from there
                      Wow...we just missed you. Think we got there about 11:30---

Comment

Nice Kayak...Kevin ...

Comment

Congratulations, Kevin- Looking forward to fishing with the Southern Maryland gang soon- I am down in "Nawlins" this week- was in New Hampshire last week- hopefully I'll get some time home for a week or so without travel, but looks like another really busy year- Might get to try a 12 hour trip out of Galveston early next month for some deep drop snapper and Grouper, but a lot depends on the weather the short time I will be on the Gulf Coast of Texas-
                          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Look forward to it Ron.....Eat plenty of crawdads and blackened redfish

Comment

Working...
                            X