Lost some biggun's at Marshall Hall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost some biggun's at Marshall Hall

Had to test my new dashboard on the striper, so Ictalrus and I planned to head out this AM for Marshall Hall and some Potomac catfish.
    Sadly, His wife got sick and Bill cancelled...the weather forecast was calling for gusts to 20 in the opposite direction of the tide. That usually means a really bumpy ride and difficult anchoring, so I decided to stay home.
    But staying home sucks, so after a few hours I loaded the boat and went anyway. My DIY dash fit perfect and I was happy to get my fishfinder working and I headed up the road to Marshall Hall.

After launching, I tried to hit the big flat across the river where we usually catch a more varied collection of fish (White, channel and Blue catfish). The wind/tide combo was not good and after I took some waves over the side, I decided it was a bad idea to anchor out there in cold water conditions and no fishing partner. I headed for the MD shore where there was some diminished wind due to some protection from the shore. I have caught fewer, but larger, catfish in this area.
    Fishing salted venison trimmings on one line and bunker chunks on the other, I sat back and enjoyed the view

....within a few minutes I had a very large blue cat on the the venison (This would be the second trip in a row where I had no hits on bunker). He was a big one, well over 30"....but, as would be the case all day, I was using too small of circle hooks. As a result, he was barely hooked in the fleshy part of the lip. Off he came as I tried to hoist that fellow into the boat. Grrrrr...I have a love-hate relationship with circle hooks.
    Later, I boated a couple in the low twenties,

....then had 3 very large cats break-off due to more shallow lip hooking. One was so large that he ended up right below me, but I could not get him up to the surface. I could see him on the fishfinder but could not get him to budge. When I thumbed the spool for more drag, the hook pulled. About two minutes later, another big cat nearly spooled me and I had to unhook from my anchor and give chase.... only to have the hook pull out again just after he was in sight.
    At his point the wind changed and there was no protection so I headed home. Next time....bigger hooks!
    Last edited by kevinfry; 01-20-2014, 07:33 PM.
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

sounds like a great day on the water!
    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Man, I'm sorry I missed this. What Kevin is leaving out is that he's sending me the play-by-play as I take care of a sick wife and cranky kid. BTW, I like the dash set up.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
        Man, I'm sorry I missed this. What Kevin is leaving out is that he's sending me the play-by-play as I take care of a sick wife and cranky kid. BTW, I like the dash set up.
        Poplar board, 4"X1/2 bolts with rubber caps----the Striper already had deckloops for dashboard tiedowns. I need to shorten the FF arm.

Comment

Very cool. It'd be easy to add a DIY camera rig like mine for the hero shots. Just need a 1/4"x20 bolt and some PVC.
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Nice Cats. It was a beautiful day though.

Comment

Man, that's exciting! Bring a gaff next time
              Mike S.
              Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
              3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Nice set up. What is your rod /reel outfit. How do you like the Salt Striker reels. I just recently bought one it's the 65 size. I need a rod to pair it up with. U=I was think about a Ugly Stik Tiger Light.

What size circle hooks do you like for the big cats. Are they similar to what you would use for live lining stripers?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm a freshwater bass guy. The only cats I catch are accidental bycatch on lures when I'm smallie fishing. I've yet to try live lining for stripers. I'm going to give it a go this year.
                Hurricane Skimmer 128
                WS Pamlico 100

Comment

I don't think you need a lot of fancy gear for catching catfish....or for trolling either for that matter. My catfish set up is a tidewater 7 ft uglystik that I bought and a Quantum tenacity rod I jigged up off the bottom will flounder fishing at PLO a few years ago. I have never foshed a tigerlight rod but I have admired them in the store.
                  As for the Saltstrikers, they are a good deal for the price and are indeed salt resistant and the gearbox seal is pretty good.....not Penn Spinfisher kind of seal, but if you dip it, the water will stay out. Over the past 15 years I have owned 5 and only had problems with one....but I think I pushed that one too hard catching Bonita and Sierra Mackeral in Guatemala. They are what they are----serviceable weather resistant reels

I used smaller hooks yesterday because I expected to fish an area where I had caught white catfish and channel catfish mixed with the Blues and they usually are hard to catch with the 8/0 to 10/0 hooks would have used I had planned on targeting the size of catfish I ended up catching.
                  As a rule, I HATE circle hooks. But as I usually fish 2 rods, i usually have one with a octopus or beak hook and another with a circlehook. If I get a double or am getting bites on both rods, I leave the circle hook to do its self hooking and pick up the other rod first. This strategy works better with blue catfish than other species I target since they like to grab the bait and take off with it. I still seem to miss 2X as many fish with circlehooks ...though I seem to be in the minority.

Comment

Looks like a great day to me!

Comment

Cool setup, and you're giving me blue cat fever....gotta get out there.
                      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Me too......

Comment

Moc....I was fishing right where you and I were fishing with Kitkat last spring and you caught that 30+ blue cat.

Comment

Working...
                          X