Looking into getting into kayak fishing and I have some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking into getting into kayak fishing and I have some questions

Hello all. Now that I'm retiring from the military and will be getting back my weekends Ive just started fishing and looking into kayak fishing.

-What are peoples thoughts on the bass pro shops kayaks? ( FS-10 and FS-12) I'm 6'1" 225lbs also I don't have a large amount of money to throw into a kayak so trying to stay below $700
    Places I may fish would be Severn river, Magothy river, Keybridge and surrounding areas.

-Any good spots anyone would recommend? (preferably around central Maryland)

-What rod,reel set up, line weight and bait/lures would you recommend? (just starter stuff for now just to get me started. not looking to try to break records)
    I already have a 6'-6" Daiwa Samurai spinner combo and a Bass Pro brawler baitcaster combo

-As for fish I'm not picky as long as their big enough to eat

Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Originally posted by kat75 View Post
    Hello all. Now that I'm retiring from the military and will be getting back my weekends Ive just started fishing and looking into kayak fishing.

-What are peoples thoughts on the bass pro shops kayaks? ( FS-10 and FS-12) I'm 6'1" 225lbs also I don't have a large amount of money to throw into a kayak so trying to stay below $700
    Places I may fish would be Severn river, Magothy river, Keybridge and surrounding areas.

-Any good spots anyone would recommend? (preferably around central Maryland)

-What rod,reel set up, line weight and bait/lures would you recommend? (just starter stuff for now just to get me started. not looking to try to break records)
    I already have a 6'-6" Daiwa Samurai spinner combo and a Bass Pro brawler baitcaster combo

-As for fish I'm not picky as long as their big enough to eat

Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks
    I personally think you can get a lot better kayaks than the bass pro ascend kayaks for under $700. Go to Dicks sporting goods and amazon and check out my kayak for instance. It's the perception pescador 12 sport I paid $550 for mine and it's great for all the types of fishing you said. It's a sit on kayak wish I prefer in large bodies of water as do most. Rod and reel setups aren't my specialty I'll let some1 else help with that. I myself use all spinning outfits but I own over 10 quality rod and reels because I like different setups for different fish. Remember to practice re-entry with which ever kayak you do get in case you turtle out there you want to be well prepared. My advice would be go with some friends a few times before you go any where with rough waters alone. I got my sea legs in belle grove ponds for 3 months before I went out on the bay alone for instance. Welcome aboard and thanks for your service.

Comment

+1 I agree with Matty.
      "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

If your schedule allows, come to Bass Pro Shops on the weekend of March 1-2. Several snaggedline.com members will be available all weekend long to answer questions about kayak fishing. You can speak one-on-one with an experienced kayak angler about any questions you have. In addition to those resources, I will be teaching a 45-min seminar on getting started in kayak fishing at Bass Pro Shops on Sunday March 2. The time has not been announced yet.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I don't know how much those bps yaks are, but I would not bother unless you can get one very cheap just to start out and see if you are going to like the sport enough to spend a bunch of money. Or look for a used one. I have seen some pretty nice packages go for under $700. Actually, I have package sitting here that I have not bothered to put up for sale. It will be about as good as the bps fs12 to get you started, I think I've got everything you need and could let it go for about half that price or so (12' kingfish sot fishing kayak with scotty rod holder, paddle, pfd, and probably even a rod/reel and a little tackle to get you started.

If you can spend just a little more than $700, you can probably get a Ride 135, Ocean Kayak Prowler, Trident or other nice non-store brand yak.
          Here is a Ride 135 with high seat package for $800 shipped:
          http://www.sierratradingpost.com/wil...colorFamily=02
          Should be some good deals around if you can find them.

Here is a good site to find some other fishing spots:
          http://www.paddling.net/launches/

An example of a good inexpensive inshore rod/reel combo is a 7' Ugly Stik Striper with an Okuma Avenger. Or Tiger Lite if you want something a little nicer.

Comment

I don't know if you use craigslist but I bought a trident 13 last season used for 550. I put some money into it as I went to see what different mods I needed and wanted. Im 6`3 235 so I needed a stable yak as well. I use it mostly in the ocean RI coast and fresh water So imho buy a good used kayak after you do some reaserch as to what will suit your needs

Comment

The Pompano 120, from West Marine, may fit your requirements. It is usually $499. However, if you keep an eye on the web site they often go on sale for $399. It is similar to the Tarpon 120 and the Pescador 12.

Comment

given your height and weight, I may have something for you. IM me
                14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Thanks for your service and enjoy your retirement. Here are some suggested fishing spots they are classified asCar top Boat Launches/Fishing Spots.
                  http://www.aacounty.org/RecParks/launch/#Sites
                  Look forward to seeing you out there.

Comment

White perch are possibly the best eating and easiest fish to catch in the upper bay. They are very abundant in the Magothy and Severn rivers from spring-fall but tend to be most abundant in the summer months. They'll eat just about any small lures you put in front of them but it's hard to beat a small white or chartreuse beetle spin slowly retrieved around shoreline, structure, and docks. You don't need any fancy tackle for that kind of fishing but an ultralight setup makes it really fun. I like a 5'6" ultralight spinning rod paired with a small reel spooled with #4 line. Make sure your reel has decent drag, not only for jumbo sized perch but the occasional rock, blue, or other large predator that you might hook into.

Comment

If you can swing the $800 I would get the Ride 135 JohnE showed. Very nice deal on a nice kayak!!! Very stable for a new kayak angler.

Locally, the perception recommended at Dicks. Its the old molds for the tarpon 120's without the slide trax.
                      Prescador 12
                      "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

Comment

Actually, I think the kingfish kayak I have will not be that great because your butt will be wet all the time at 225 pounds. It would be better for somebody under 200 pounds.

They also have a Prowler 13 for $699 shipped, but the Ride 135 I posted is a lot better for the extra $100:
                        http://www.sierratradingpost.com/oce...colorFamily=01

Comment

The prowler does not have a seat and the ride does, so that almost makes them equal price.

Comment

No seat and molded footrests on the prowler, plus I think that one is a factory 2nd.

The seat that comes on the Ride is one of the best kayak sests available.

Comment

I have an older Ocean Kayak Comfort seat if you want to take that from me for a few bucks. It's faded in color a bit, but still functions the same. Let me know.
                              The best time spent is time that doesn't feel like it was spent at all. When it's worth it you'll give everything to do it all over again no matter what the cost.

Comment

Working...
                              X