trip report from the lower Potomac - 02/01/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trip report from the lower Potomac - 02/01/14

Fishing was not great but I figured I would post up a report since Mom Nature has been giving us the business.

I do not fish for stripers too frequently but in the search for open water on Saturday February 1st I wound up fishing with 3 other kayak anglers on the Potomac River down by the 301 bridge. There is a power plant warm water discharge about 150 yards down river from the bridge on the Maryland side and while the river did have lots of ice (and was registering about 32 to 33 degrees) the water from the discharge was up to 37 to 39 degrees.

We were hoping that warmer water would pull fish in but we only pulled in the one striper. We also tried for some blue cats but no luck there.

lots of ice floating about, it would move in with the tide and the river current, push us around, then our fishing spot would clear back up 5-10 minutes later

this a popular spot, besides the 4 of us in kayaks we had 4 other boats fishing the discharge area

I got the striper on a 7" Bass Assassin Straight Tail Shad (I believe it was their "Salt & Pepper Silver Phantom" color) on a 3/4 ounce jighead.

As I mentioned I do not fish for stripers frequently and you could sink a boat with what I do not know about catching those fish but the jigging technique I employed is shown in one of the striper fishing videos on this site:

https://tightlinejunkiejournal.pivot...bass/828/media

click "Categories" then "Striped Bass" (and you can preview that video "Fall Striped Bass on the Chesapeake Bay" for free)
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

pretty brave guy fishing in that ice.....or crazy. I guess since you were blessed with a Rockfish it must be the former!
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Heck, I doubt the gillnetters would set nets in that mess of ice and water. It would make a mess of their nets. I bet gillnetters haven'y hit that area for many days due to excessive ice. Any of the other boaters there catch anything???
      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
        pretty brave guy fishing in that ice.....or crazy. I guess since you were blessed with a Rockfish it must be the former!
        The ice was not too thick. You could actually paddle right through most of it, but there was a fair amount of "crazy" holding a paddle that day.

Originally posted by HJS View Post
        Any of the other boaters there catch anything???
        No other fish, and we were there trying all day long. I have heard that winter warm water discharge fishing for stripers is mostly "hit or miss" and this was mostly "miss".
        Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Working...
        X