Easrwen shore Ponds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easrwen shore Ponds

I will be in OC on April 30, thought Id try some pond hopping prior to. Any advice on where to start? I've shoreline fished some of them many years ago.

Trap Pond in Laurel, DE is about 40 miles northwest of Ocean City.

It's an excellent pond for bass, bluegill and crappie.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Johnson's pond in Salisbury is relatively close to OC. Nice place to fish. Lots of crappie, YP, bass, and nice pickerel.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Doug, where is Johnson's located in Salisbury ? I'm looking forward to a few trips down there for some salt water fishing. I really enjoyed the evening with you and Gary last June at the route 50 bridge.

Comment

Trap pond is really nice but can get windy as it is somewhat open. Just down the road from Trap is Trussum Pond. I have fished both ponds quite a bit and I prefer Trussum as it is generally less crowded. Keep in mind that both of these ponds are full of cypress stumps and the water is very dark from the tannic acid = trouble for a mirage drive or any other type of non-paddle propulsion.
          Jackson Kayak Coosa HD
          Jackson Kayak Kilroy DT

Comment

Originally posted by gkreps View Post
            Doug, where is Johnson's located in Salisbury ? I'm looking forward to a few trips down there for some salt water fishing. I really enjoyed the evening with you and Gary last June at the route 50 bridge.
            That was a lot of fun. Too bad the current was ripping so hard we could barely paddle and the fish didn't really cooperate. It won't be long before things start to happen around here in the salt. Make sure you let me know when your coming and we'll have to get back out.

Here is a link for google maps of Johnsons Pond. Hopefully it works. The landing is located off of Rose St. If you are heading east on Rt. 50, before you hit the bypass, take Rt. 50 Business. Follow that approx. 2 miles and take a left onto Booth Street. Take your first right off of Booth St. onto West Rd. Follow that a few blocks and Rose St. will be on your left. The ramp is at the end of the rd. It is a pretty rough area, so lock your truck and don't leave anything out in plain view. I've never had any problems there, but I'd figured I'd let you know.

https://maps.google.com/maps?client=...ed=0CAkQ_AUoAQ

After you launch, head to the left towards Deer Head Hospital. It sits on a point that hold a few nice fish. Trolling an xrap will normally get a pickerel or two. The other really good spot is at the very head of the Pond, further past Deers Head Hospital (as far north as you can go on the pond). Loads of crappie in the submerged stumps and on the banks.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
            Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
            2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Thanks guys. That should fill up my time. And of course I mean't to type EASTERN SHORE

Comment

thefeez,

You're welcome.

Regarding the cypress stumps at Trap, suFISHent is correct that there are many. I had no problem with them and in fact I liked them because they hold fish. Trap has lots of structure. I had more problems with the vegetation and lily pads in the back of the pond fouling my Mirage Drive. But the vegetation holds fish too and it's worth venturing into it.

A couple of us on this list are contemplating an overnight trip to Trap in May. There are camping facilities at the pond. Stay tuned and join us if you can.

Good luck on your Eastern Shore trip in April.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by gkreps View Post
                  Johnson's is one of Maryland's trophy bass lakes, which I think means catch and release only. I have seen some nice fish in there. Interestingly, there is nothing posted at the ramp about it...could be it keeps getting removed. Let me know when you are down Greg, maybe we can find some speckled this time, they sure got the best of us last year! A nice bucket mouth would be cool too.

Comment

Originally posted by Hemingway View Post
                    Johnson's is one of Maryland's trophy bass lakes, which I think means catch and release only. I have seen some nice fish in there. Interestingly, there is nothing posted at the ramp about it...could be it keeps getting removed. Let me know when you are down Greg, maybe we can find some speckled this time, they sure got the best of us last year! A nice bucket mouth would be cool too.
                    Gary, you can bet I will call you when I come down, I really would like to catch one of those specs.

Comment

Working...
                    X