Fly Fishing the Middle Patuxent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly Fishing the Middle Patuxent

DNR says the Middle patuxent was stocked yesterday (between route 29 and Murray Hill road). I'm thinking about heading out there tomorrow, but I've never fished there before. Anyone got any advice? I don't have chest waders so help on spots to fish with shallow water would be greatly appreciated! If you don't want to give away anything specific, no problem. Any info would be helpful. Thanks!
    Jackson
    Jackson Cuda 12
    Field and Stream SOT
    "It is often beyond our reach to describe to others the effect upon the soul that the fellowship of men upon a river, rod in hand, brings." John Eldredge

I'm pretty sure it is high and muddy from the snow melt and massive thunderstorms today.

Comment

not sure what massive thunderstorms you're talking about since the area only got .07 inches in the past 24 hours, but ya maybe the snow melt brought it up
      Jackson
      Jackson Cuda 12
      Field and Stream SOT
      "It is often beyond our reach to describe to others the effect upon the soul that the fellowship of men upon a river, rod in hand, brings." John Eldredge

Comment

The USGS website says that at Guilford Road, the river 4 days ago was around 3 feet. Today it is almost up to 5 feet. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

oh cool i had forgotten about that website, thanks for letting me know! probably won't be going with that high of water.
          Jackson
          Jackson Cuda 12
          Field and Stream SOT

Comment

Look for slower currents agianst the shoreline, or undercut banks with the high water,
            Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
            -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
            -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

What Jaspratt said. Not too many shore spots unless you like trudging through bushes, but it may not be too bad in the winter. Most of the trail isn't directly along the river so you have to go off the trail a lot.

Comment

I ended up fly fishing at Daniels on sunday. I was catching a few of last years stocked left over fish. But the water was 3ft over and murky. Was using a size 14 phesant tail nymph. End up with 4 trout. Im going to head there again tomorrow since they stocked on monday
                Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
                -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole

Comment

Maybe ill see you there jason...
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Its really really cold out there lol. Ended up with 5 in the first 30min stayed about 50min total. Had to dip my whole rod in the water just to cast. Had the whole river to myselfimage.jpg your limit is 2 fish up there but average size is like 11" no point in keeping 2 11" fish so i released them all.
                    Jason

Comment

I saw you pulling in when I was leaving. That water being so high made it tough to fish. I had three bites and caught one at about 14". He'll make a nice lunch.
                      Ryan
                      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice, i might roll back out friday morn. Hoping to hook into a stocked breeder.
                        Jason

Comment

I might try the section by old Frederick road friday
                          Ryan
                          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

The stocking that was scheduled for the 28th has been postponed due to river conditions. i worked the stocking on the 20th and it was high and discolored.

Comment

Wtg guys!

Comment

Working...
                              X