Seaside Clamming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seaside Clamming

I haven't done any fishing on the seaside yet this year except for one last surf fishing trip back in January. The water temps have been just too darn cold. I was out on the work boat this week in one of the VBI inlets and water temps were reading 34 on outgoing tide.... yikes.

Fortunately, clams don't mind what the water temps are! It's obviously not as exciting as fishing but a good way to get out of the house. I usually can get a 5 gallon bucket each time out without much effort. The big quahogs and surf clams are frozen and saved for black drum and striper surf bait, the rest go towards steamers, chowder, fritters, strips, or any other way I can find to cook them. Tasty little way to pass the winter!

0301141425.jpg
    (picture didn't come out that well, sorry)
    Brian

Man screw using them for bait, to the frier and chowder!! Looks beautiful!
    "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

I haven't had fresh clams in so long. Makes my mouth water. I use to deliver seafood in Va. Beach and would get deals on bags of clams. We would throw a bunch on the grill until they just started to open, then chow down on 'em.
      BRETT
      Red/Yellow COBRA Navigator

Comment

Wow that's awesome. I'd love to try that. I love fresh clams.
        Hurricane Skimmer 128
        WS Pamlico 100

Comment

clams look awesome Its been awhile used to get clams and then pull mussels off the back side of assauteage in early spring the mussels dont taste real good when warm weather hits.
          D Hawk
          Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
          Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

I would love to try that sometime. Just another outdoor excursion for another type of tasty crustaceans.... So when do we go ..

Comment

Dhawk, I see mussels everywhere but don't know much about picking good ones. You'll have to give me some pointers sometime, maybe?

Are razor clams edible? I found a spot with a good collection but haven't tried them for anything yet.
              Brian

Comment

We usually picked them off the back side of the island. We locate them the dig down in the sand and pick them out leaving the ones on top that were dried out and usually staying away from the real muddy ones. We would put them in a bucket of bay water on our way back to fenwick on the boat and they would kind of clean themselves out. We have been doing it for along time but I can't say I have anyone else get them. Sorry I don't have anymore info than that besides we stop around Memorial Day after that they don't taste good don't know if they spawn or if it's just the warmer water
                D Hawk

Comment

I believe we stayed away from mussels that were above water line because they were supposed to have more bacteria usually never ate more than a dozen a season but never had any adverse affects
                  D Hawk

Comment

Working...
                  X