Hh-wwd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hh-wwd

I fished the HH-WWD today on the inner Middle Branch Patapsco, 11:30am to 2:30pm. I got totally skunked In spite of good conditions. Gizzard shad were in the WWD plume as thick as I have ever seen them there. Trying as hard as I could to avoid the gizzards, I still managed to snag a couple dozen of them. There were a lot of schools of small baitfish marks on the FF too. So there was plenty of food there to bring in the stripers…but I couldn’t find any to catch.

Wind was a dead calm the entire time and water vis was fair at 2’ to 3’. I was using 4” and 5” soft plastics, white and chartreuse. Only one other boat there and I didn’t see him catch anything either. Disappointing to say the least.
    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

I'd gotten several reports saying the same thing. I think the warm weather may have put an end to it and those fish are moving north. This time of year gets finicky because they are on the move and what was there yesterday may not be tomorrow. It was a beautiful day though, beats being inside.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Comment

Howard

Ive seen you post for years about the HH wwd. Because its one of the closest fisheries, its seems strange that i've never fished it. Do i park and launch at HH. Hang a "right" once leaving the ramp?
      Jason

Comment

image.jpgFirst off I am purchasing my first kayak tomorrow so hopefully I will get to know some of you guys. As far as HH, they are still in there, just seem off right now. In the pics I post the one of me in orange is from this past Monday, the other is from a month ago. Take it easy on me since I am in my boat in the pics, but I look forward to talking in the future with you all.image.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Hehring122 View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]11129[/ATTACH]First off I am purchasing my first kayak tomorrow so hopefully I will get to know some of you guys. As far as HH, they are still in there, just seem off right now. In the pics I post the one of me in orange is from this past Monday, the other is from a month ago. Take it easy on me since I am in my boat in the pics, but I look forward to talking in the future with you all.[ATTACH=CONFIG]11128[/ATTACH]
          Those are from the HH area? I have never seen them so large there before. I've only ever seen 14-23" there but that's just my own luck I am speaking of. Gorgeous fish though what did you catch them on?

Comment

Thanks, they are from the wwd, they were caught on jerk baits.

Comment

Where is the HH discharge located?
              Mike

"But by the grace of God I am what I am..." - I Cor. 15:10
              Native Watercraft Slayer Propel - Cooperhead

Comment

I've been fishing the HH-WWD every winter since February 2004. It's one of the few locations where stripers can be caught during winter months. I guess I have fished the discharge at least 2-6 times a winter. Maybe a third of the trips were total skunks. As you might expect, winter conditions makes this area a hardcore place to fishing. Gotta pick you dates very carefully... and yesterday's conditions were reasonably perfect and pleasant... just didn't catch any stripers. After all these years of fishing there I still can't figure out a pattern as to when they might be there. I've caught them on the incoming, outgoing and at a dead calm. Overcast days seem to be better than sunny days. One of my best days, like 50 stripers caught, there were at least 6 other boats in the area. So go figure!!!

Yak Fish, et al - I too have heard the good/bad reports from the rumor mill. My summation of these reports indicate that a few nice stripers have shown up from time to time this winter. But this winter from Hell as well as family scheduling out of my control has keep me home during the few good weather days this winter.

longisland - Yeah, I've put I my time there every winter since 2004. I guess since then I've launched there to partake in the winter WWD fishing at least 50 times. Launch at the HH ramp, turn left and the WWD is well past the bridge. The discharge is well out in the middle, away from everything, and there are no signs or markers of it's location except the current plume. And that plume of water is very difficult to see/find when there is a chop on the water. Also, having a FF is extremely helpful.

Hehring - That's a BIG fish. Most of my "nice" fish run in the low/mid 20"s. I caught only a few in the upper 20"s and two in the very low 30"s. Never know what you will catch there.
                Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Thank you, yea there is no pattern that I can figure out I seem to catch me at the weirdest times and conditions.

Comment

lil something

Def some nice fish out there 46 1/4
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by knollbound View Post
                      Def some nice fish out there 46 1/4
                      Dang! thats bigger than your kayak...
                      Ryan
                      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Hehring122 View Post
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]11129[/ATTACH]First off I am purchasing my first kayak tomorrow so hopefully I will get to know some of you guys. As far as HH, they are still in there, just seem off right now. In the pics I post the one of me in orange is from this past Monday, the other is from a month ago. Take it easy on me since I am in my boat in the pics, but I look forward to talking in the future with you all.[ATTACH=CONFIG]11128[/ATTACH]
                        BEAST!!!!

I want in!!!

Where exactly in MD are you guys talking about?

Excuse my noobness

Comment

Yea, the guy I was gonna buy my yak from screwed me over. Anyone have a nice beginner set up they wanna sell?

Comment

Working...
                          X