New yak, some trout, good company

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New yak, some trout, good company

Thanks to my friend Fishtank (and finding a buyer for my Striper) I now have a new 2013 Malibu Stealth 14.....wow, what an upgrade from my ol' trusty "gift horse" malibu 2. I felt like I was ridin' in style.
    Much faster and longer, but plenty maneuverable since it has plenty of rocker. I do need a new seat, however, as my trusty crazy creek seat did not fit too well.
    And more Snaggedline friends met me at Wheatly lake for the maiden voyage.
    Ronault had got his limit of trout the day before tipping us off and he met Ictalurus Bill and I on the water. Bill put 4 in the boat in a hurry while it took me 2 hours to find the right lure....once I tied on a Countdown Rapala and a little crackle frog Flatfish, the action was pretty steady and I got my limit in short order...
    ....the livewell in my stealth came in handy for these 12" tasty guys!! Wish there had been some bigger ones!

It was great to see Ron and Bill and get my yak slimed
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

It was good fishing with my friends in 2014...this weekend is the 1st time I have had the yak wet this year...yesterday the LM bass were hitting..not today, but the trout were making up for it...limited out in an hour and thirty minutes today...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Kevin -

Congratulations on the new kayak. You put it to good use right away.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

more pics of the "Surprise"

14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Nice report and photos.

Congrats on the new ride and a successful afternoon for all.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Congrats on the new yak Kevin! That's a nice looking rig
            2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
            2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
            2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Thanks for the report and congrats on the new yak. I grew up fishing Wheatley lake and it holds a lot of fond memories. Always a good time fishing for trout.
              -Neil

Moken 13 Angler Deluxe

Comment

good god you deserve congradulations for simply finding unfrozen water in this freakin siberrian wasteland we live.

Comment

Congrats on the new yak Kevin! And nice going everyone on the fish!
                  -Mustafa
                  ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                  2016 Hobie Outback
                  2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                  "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Very nice looking yak. Congrats on the new ride.

Outback 2015
                    Maui

Comment

I've been waiting since Valentine's Day for DNR to stock some pond in our area, so I couldn't wait to hit the lake once I saw that they stocked on Tuesday. It was even better to fish with Kevin and Ron. I used spinners for most of the day and caught a much smaller class of fish:

Since I haven't had much luck this year, I didn't want to risk offending the fish gods by throwing back their offering. Five trout that size equaled one meal for two and a snack, but I was appreciative nonetheless. Once Kevin figured out bigger fish were hitting Rapala Countdowns, I caught a few bigger ones, which I released. I also picked up a micro-bass:

Here's Ron in action and one of Kevin's fish:

I also tried some new crappie lures I picked up on sale from Bass Pro, including a couple small crank baits and various plastics, but there were no takers. The wind picked up and the temperature dropped, so I wasn't too interested in trying to finesse fish out of the cover if they weren't going to play along. Most of the trout I caught were in 4-7 feet of water and often hit when I twitched the lure. Anyway, most of my trips this year have been really slow, so I was happy with the steady pullage and good company.
                      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Kevin,

The new yak looks sweet man!! Congrats buddy, love the live well too. I bet a few spot will hold well for some LL. Missing some st mary action...

Nice work on the fish gents

Justin

Comment

congrats on the new yak Kevin. Can't wait to see you in it up close and personal and all.....

Kitkat
                          2015 Outback
                          2016 Outback LE

GO PATRIOTS !!!

Comment

SWEET Ride Kevin!!
                            GB

Comment

Always great to see a documented report of Ictalurus/Bill on the water again.
                              Nice photos and reports guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X