Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shore access to mattowoman.

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and looking for some guidance/help. I want to try and catch a Sankehead this year but have never fished mattowoman creek( I hear that's the spot to be). I am looking for some help finding a shore access spot (I don't have a kayak yet).

I am not looking for your honey hole just some spots that I can get to the water I will do the rest. Finding access points on google maps is not exactly ideal.

I recently moved from Alaska and have plenty of fishing info for those planning a trip up to gods country, if you want to swap info.

I dont think theres any shore access other than the docks at smallwood and mattingly park. Mattawoman is not the only place to find snakehead. Theres also Anacostia river in dc and pohick bay on the virginia side. There may be better shore access on those parts of the potomac
    Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
    -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
    -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Try here. Google Maps
      https://www.google.com/maps/@38.5817.../data=!3m1!1e3
      That pond at the corner of Bumpy Oak Road and the Indian Head Rail Trail is full of them
      According to these guys
      http://www.pierandsurf.com/fishing-f.../t-89533.html?
      BRETT
      Red/Yellow COBRA Navigator

Comment

I see people fishing from shore under the 225 bridge. I don't know how productive that spot is, but its a nice alternative kayak launch.
        2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
        Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

Slavins/Mattingly: http://dnr.maryland.gov/boating/pdfs...onCharles8.pdf
          Launch Difficulty: Easy

225 Bridge Launch
          Launch Difficulty: Moderate

See here: http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...man+meet+greet

Edit: Oops, sorry, I missed the little detail that you don't have a kayak. I don't think there is much good shore access along Mattawoman. If you were looking for catfish, yeah, but snakeheads will be in the weeds on the other side of the creek.
          Last edited by chex; 03-24-2014, 04:55 PM.
          Mike S.
          Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
          3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

I would think Mallows Bay Park might offer some good shoreline fishing for snakeheads. I have caught several there while bass fishing from the kayak and almost always see several of them when I am fishing there in the summer.

See the map below, I think you have free range to move up and down the shoreline in the areas I circled in red. I think with a pair of waders you would have a pretty good a shot at a snakehead. Your best bet would probably be to fish during high tide when the snakeheads move into the area between the shoreline and the start of the weedline.

Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman19 View Post
              Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and looking for some guidance/help. I want to try and catch a Sankehead this year but have never fished mattowoman creek( I hear that's the spot to be). I am looking for some help finding a shore access spot (I don't have a kayak yet).

I am not looking for your honey hole just some spots that I can get to the water I will do the rest. Finding access points on google maps is not exactly ideal.

I recently moved from Alaska and have plenty of fishing info for those planning a trip up to gods country, if you want to swap info.
              There is limited access at the 225 bridge, but I don't think the trails lead to productive water for snakeheads. I think people occasionally catch them at Smallwood state park from shore, but a lot of people fish there so it might be over fished. As others have said, seems to be that the anacostia has some fish able areas that hold them. I heard from the VADNR that dogue creek is a good spot to get em from shore. Closer to Columbia and a better chance might be Fletcher's cove. Check out the reports on their website and from others.

http://www.pierandsurf.com/fishing-f...ead-from-shore

http://www.fletcherscove.com/fishing...g_05_09_11.htm
              Green Old Town Loon 111
              Vibe Sea Ghost 110 - TeamGreen

Comment

Since you said you don't have a yak "yet" you might consider renting a Hobie there at Mattingly Park. You don't need to travel far from the launch for a chance at a bass or snakehead.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt C-Hawk View Post
                  Since you said you don't have a yak "yet" you might consider renting a Hobie there at Mattingly Park. You don't need to travel far from the launch for a chance at a bass or snakehead.
                  ^ Best idea of the week! Good thinking Capt
                  Mike S.
                  Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                  3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I will be sure to check some of these out. I guess MWR on Fort Meade has some boats to rent so I might grab on and check out some of the launch sites too.

Thanks again

Comment

You can rent a yak, or buy a used Revo from Up the Creek right there. Got my outback from them.

Originally posted by Fisherman19 View Post
                      Hello everyone,

Hobie Outback
                      Stand Up Paddle Board
                      Pelican 100

Comment

Working...
                      X