Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bay Fishing Newbie in Deale

Good Afternoon,

I just moved to the bay area at the first of the year and am lucky enough to live on the bay in Deale MD. I am from Arkansas were I primarily fished for small mouth bass on rivers large mouth on the lakes.

I don't have any experience fishing tidal waters. I have purchased a Tarpon 120 and have some light tackle, but I am looking for anyone who fishes this area of the bay for any help on how and when to fish this body of water.

Does this group have any outings or happy hour events coming up?

Welcome. I don't fish that area of the bay and can't be of much help.

You may want to head over to the Main Forum and post the introduction of yourself there. They will be falling over themselves to help and hook up to fish. You will find all the invites and announcements of people hitting the water there. The monthly Meet and Greet Schedule and announcements will also be found there.

Here is the Meet and Greet Schedule for this year.

The Meet & Greet for 2014 which occurs on the 2nd Saturday of each month is as follows:
    FEB - Susquehanna for Yellow Perch - Hosted by Sparky
    MAR - BellHaven on the Potomac for Blue Cats - Hosted by Rockchaser
    April - Bell Grove Ponds - Hosted by Medicyaker
    May - Upper Potomac for Small Mouth Bass - Hosted by Monocaykayak
    June - Rumbly for Stripers, Flounder and Speckle Trout - Slobber Bob
    July - Lowes Wharf Stripers, Reds, Croaker, Spots, Perch, Speckle Trout - Hosted by Coop1486
    Aug - Dennis Point Marina in St. Mary's County for Cats, Rockfish and Reds - Hosted by Kevin Fry
    Sep - CBKA Tournament - Hosted by MOC and the CBKA Staff
    Oct - South River for Stripers - Hosted by Dogfish
    Nov - Beverly Trion Park for Stripers - Hosted by SurfDog
    Dec - Severn River for Stripers and Pickerel - Host by John Veil

Don't just rely on the M&Gs keep an eye out or post in the main forum and you will have much better luck teaming up with someone that can help you out.

Comment

Welcome There's a ton of information on this Forum but this is a good read to get you started on the Bay.http://www.chesapeakelighttackle.com/ You have to go to buy the book but... Yes he does it on a boat but his use of light tackle and his techniques work. GOOD LUCK
      Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
      Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Thanks for the information! I will head on over to the main forum to see if I can't dig up and good fishing advice.

Comment

You are one of the best spots on the bay... Go fish happy harbor and the jetties with topwater

Comment

Originally posted by kayak456 View Post
            You are one of the best spots on the bay... Go fish happy harbor and the jetties with topwater
            Thanks for the info. I have had many beers at Happy Harbor already, but I will have to try fishing around all those boats.

Comment

Hi,
              I read Chesapeake Light Tackle, As DaddyG suggested, and I can tell you it will really help you to understand fishing the Bay, and where to fish, and how to fish. Once I get in my new yak (any day now I hope) I'd be glad to join you in Deale, though I am a newbie somewhat myself.
              Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
              Cobra Explorer

Comment

Welcome to Maryland and welcome to Snaggedline.

I think you'll find that the same skills you used to catch river smallmouth bass and lake largemouth bass will serve you well in the Bay's tidal waters. Current and structure are key factors here just as they were for you in Arkansas.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Pc4sun View Post
                  Hi,
                  I read Chesapeake Light Tackle, As DaddyG suggested, and I can tell you it will really help you to understand fishing the Bay, and where to fish, and how to fish. Once I get in my new yak (any day now I hope) I'd be glad to join you in Deale, though I am a newbie somewhat myself.
                  I will have to take at look at the book. If you are ever headed to the Deale area to fish hit me up.

Comment

Working...
                  X