New Venues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Venues

Earlier this week when it was blowing hard out of the NNW, I paddled a new to me lake in Wye Mills. The water was too stained from the recent rains to fish but I did see a survey boat there shock up some Crappie......this Lake is now on my list of favorites on account of the really cool trees, terrapins, and nice setting. I hope it proves in time to offer some fish! Very protected, I think up to 20-25 out of the NW would still be manageable there.

I'm thinking about a trip Friday and wonder if anyone here has a recommend for early season? I'm thinking of a first trip to Snow Hill or south on the Western Shore to Solomons or Point Lookout? Any intel/local knowledge on these would be much appreciated. I'd like to find some early April white perch...

Regards,
    ST

Scott,

I have fished the lake at Wye Mills but never this early in the year. Late April and May are good times because are fish are more active but the vegetation has not yet choked the shallows.

You're correct that it offers a beautiful setting with lots of wildlife to observe. There is also much shoreline structure to target.

I have caught many LM bass and blue gills in the lake with a fly rod popping along the shoreline. In particular I have had good success where the lake bends to the left and thins out. I have never caught large bass in Wye Mills but the blue gills can get chunky.

It's definitely a nice place for a quick freshwater outing.

Unicorn Lake is another place on the Eastern Shore that provides a similar fishing experience.
    Last edited by Mark; 04-02-2014, 09:11 AM.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
    X