Jamboree at Susquehanna Flats advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamboree at Susquehanna Flats advice

I have never fished the flats before so I am wondering what I should be fishing for (I planned for largemouth). I just want to catch some decent fish in the 'yak. Since I have never been there before of fished anything like it, I would like some advice as to what I should be using for the day for this time of year. I am hoping to hang out with the Heroes on the Water guys so I am sure they will give me some advice too, but anything helps! Thanks!

I hate when people suggest that you use the search function. It seems so snarky. So in the very very least snarky way....use the search function. I only say that because smarter people than I have posted about fishing the flats. You can google walleye Pete's flats tutorial or mullett millers posts from the past ten years.

What to fish for? The cool weather might mean they won't be there in numbers but why not try for rockfish/stripers and a chance at a fish of a lifetime??
    Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      I have never fished the flats before so I am wondering what I should be fishing for (I planned for largemouth). I just want to catch some decent fish in the 'yak. Since I have never been there before of fished anything like it, I would like some advice as to what I should be using for the day for this time of year. I am hoping to hang out with the Heroes on the Water guys so I am sure they will give me some advice too, but anything helps! Thanks!
      I'll make it easy for ya...the largemouth bite should be prime right about now. The stripers have not showed up as of last weekend, but they should be there any day now...unless we get a repeat of last year where the flats were void of stripers. To me, they're the main target if they are around. Last choice would be white perch and of course, always catfish and carp. So take your pick. Right now stripers would be on the flats proper. Largemouth should be around shorelines/coves. White perch probably in deeper holes. Based on the tournament last weekend, the LMB bite was on so if they are your target fish, go get 'em. If you really want to catch fish, go for shad. It's a blast at deer creek if they are running. Ah, I forgot small mouth.

So basically, bring every rod in your aresenal because you could probably use all of them depending on what your mood is.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

Fish for stripers. Big swimming plugs, swimbaits, Bass assassins, etc. Water is not deep unless you fish the river channels. I took the photo. Michael caught the fish. He might remember that one (2012).

IMG_0354.JPG

Speaking of a fish of a lifetime that was the only fish to speak of among our group that day. I caught a hickory shad on a swimming eel of all things. In the mouth! So, I wasn't skunked.

The beer was good!

IMG_0357.JPG

Comment

That is all great advice and much appreciated. I am going up the night before so I am sure I will get the 411 from the other fisherman the night before.

Comment

Susquehanna Flats Articles:
            - Walleye Pete’s Susquehanna Flats Tutorial (http://walleyepete.com/advice/susque...hing-tutorial/)
            - As temps change, so do striper strategies (http://www2.readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=196100)
            - The Susquehanna, If Only (http://www.chesapeake-angler.com/sto...usquehanna.htm)
            - Susquehanna Flats worth trying in summer ( http://www2.readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=47250)
            ------------------ ,__
            ------------------ | `'.
            __---------- |`-._/_.:---`-.._
            \='.-------_/..--'`__ ----- `'-._
            -\- '-.--"` ----- === ----- / - o `',
            - )= (-----------------.-- | ----- _.'
            -/_=.'-._------------ {=_-_ | -- .-`-.
            /_.'--- `\`'-._------- '-= - \ -- _.'
            -------- )- _.-'`'-..------ _..-'`
            ------- /_.' ------ `/";';`|
            -------------------- \` .'/
            --------------------- '--'