Waysons Corner and First outing in (my) new Prowler 15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waysons Corner and First outing in (my) new Prowler 15

I got out last week when the weather was nice with my wife and we got some good time on the water. I just got us new, well new to us, kayaks. An OK Scrambler for her and a OK Prowler 15 for me. We got into Kayak fishing last year in a couple of cheap sit-ins from Dick's but soon realized we needed to upgrade. My goal this year is to catch a striper from my kayak and knew I needed something heavy duty to get to the BB where I want to end up.

To get used to our new yaks we just went out on the Patuxent at Waysons Corner. Theres a county kayak launch there. Fishing was slow to start but ended up with a bunch of white perch and one pretty big (11", for that area) yellow perch. A few other kayak anglers said they had good luck fishing for cats further down in the deeper water.

I love our new setups and I cant wait to get out again. If anyone goes out to the BB later this spring, let me know. I'd love some company showing me the ropes.
    Jaryd

Corfton, Md

Ocean Kayak Prowler 15

Ocean Kayak Scrambler

Would love to get down there if the bite is on. What is the bait/lure of choice down there?
    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Originally posted by colinkelly View Post
      Would love to get down there if the bite is on. What is the bait/lure of choice down there?
      Colinkelly, The bait of choice right now is nightcrawlers weighted at the bottom. A few of the older guys there told me green ones work well but I didnt try any. Later in the season when things warm up, rooster tails and Panther Martin Spinners do the trick and you can never go wrong with a white grub on a white weighted hook. You can catch a lot with the grub.
      Jaryd

Corfton, Md

Ocean Kayak Prowler 15

Ocean Kayak Scrambler

Comment

Originally posted by jcoleman214 View Post
        ..... My goal this year is to catch a striper from my kayak and knew I needed something heavy duty to get to the BB where I want to end up.... .....
        Welcome to Snaggedline :-)

Arrrr Matey to catch the beloved stripped bass... as a newbie.. some of the veterans here know of my exploit catching the "stripper bass" but we'll let that inside joke go (and no I don't go to naked woman bars).

You don't have to go to the Bay Bridge to catch rockfish... there pretty darn all over the place. The veteran and all knowledgeable Mr. Veil pretty much has them jumpin' in the boat down at the Severn River.

I am quite the newbie around these swamps, cricks, and open waters... but you're gonna have fun. Do lot's of searches here and you'll find tons of info. I have some of my trip reports up that may be of help.

As mentioned there's lots of info out there... have a gander at some of my trips... good fishin' on ya...
        http://www.mychesapeakebay.net/kayakfishing/

Comment

Thanks for the info. Gonna have to pick up some gear and get after it.
          Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

[hQUOTE=rob-kayak;82692]Welcome to Snaggedline :-)

Arrrr Matey to catch the beloved stripped bass... as a newbie.. some of the veterans here know of my exploit catching the "stripper bass" but we'll let that inside joke go (and no I don't go to naked woman bars).

You don't have to go to the Bay Bridge to catch rockfish... there pretty darn all over the place. The veteran and all knowledgeable Mr. Veil pretty much has them jumpin' in the boat down at the Severn River.

I am quite the newbie around these swamps, cricks, and open waters... but you're gonna have fun. Do lot's of searches here and you'll find tons of info. I have some of my trip reports up that may be of help.

As mentioned there's lots of info out there... have a gander at some of my trips... good fishin' on ya...
            http://www.mychesapeakebay.net/kayakfishing/[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much for posting the link and your information! I look forward to catching a striper at some point.
            Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
            Cobra Explorer

Comment

Working...
            X