No announcement yet.

Woody's Feather Spinners - replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woody's Feather Spinners - replacement?

I know Woody ran into some health issues and slowed/stopped production. I think I read somewhere that he may have resumed to a limited extent.

If that's not the case, are there any other local makers of comparable lures?

I ran into Bignose on Weems one day and he kindly gifted me with two of his homemade renditions -- they were perch slayers.

Since that time, both of them have gone deep six. Last season my daughter and I fished our last Woody lures + several generic safety pin spinners paired with grubs.

They worked well but I liked Woody's better.

Mark

Woody's feather spinners are available again at several local tackle shops. He started making them again last fall, but at a slower pace. I have seen them in Marty's in Edgewater. You can call your local tackle shop to see if they carry the product.

Snaggedline members Bignose and Grady Black had some great-looking small spinners available at the kayak fishing flea market in Pasadena last March. You can try contacting those guys for pricing and availability.

I have caught countless perch on Woody's spinners and on Bignose's spinners. I now have one of Grady Black's spinners and look forward to trying it out once the perch move into their shallow shorelines spots in a few weeks.

One other commercial lure that works nearly as well and has a low price point is the Strike King 1/16-oz Micro-king spinnerbait. I have caught fish on many of the Micro-king color patterns, but my favorite is the sun perch color. Not all tackle shops or tackle sections of big box stores carry the Micro-king. Dick's generally carries them. For some reason, I have not done as well when using the 1/8-oz Strike King Mini-king. Perhaps that was user error.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks John,
      Excalibur PM me your postal address and I'll send you one of mine to try..
      GB

Comment

Working...
      X