Susky flats 4/26/2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susky flats 4/26/2014

The Susky Flats are alive and kicking. Yakkinfish18 and myself decided to head out of Tydings despite the wind. Trolling channel edges with the brightest xraps we owned...proved very successful. We both caught around 4 stripers each...ranging from the high 30s to the low 40s. Somehow I did manage a 12" dink during spawning season. I finally broke the 40" mark....but Yakkinfish18 takes the pot with a beastly 42"er! Got get them while they are here!
    Attached Files
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Nice fish. Yet another day I thought about heading out there and decided not to. Pretty sure I know where I am going Monday morning now.
    Mike

Comment

You know I really do hate you guys... Nice fish!

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Sounds like a winning day for you guys. The wind kicked up pretty strong here in the Catoctin Mountains early afternoon. My wife's wind chimes are going nuts as I type.

How heavy was the fishing pressure??? Any other boats catching too?

I'm looking to fish the Flats Monday morning. Wind looks decent. I'll be in my green 16' Oldtown canoe with trolling motor. Plan to launch from the City Yacht Basin in Havre de Grace.
        Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post
          Sounds like a winning day for you guys. The wind kicked up pretty strong here in the Catoctin Mountains early afternoon. My wife's wind chimes are going nuts as I type.

How heavy was the fishing pressure??? Any other boats catching too?

I'm looking to fish the Flats Monday morning. Wind looks decent. I'll be in my green 16' Oldtown canoe with trolling motor. Plan to launch from the City Yacht Basin in Havre de Grace.
          The pressure really wasn't bad, maybe a total of 5 boats in a 2 mile radius around us. Most were hunkered down with cut bait or jigging....one boat was LLing with live herring (and was announcing it)! I think most fisherman gave up on the flats this year since the damn was in a two week spill cycle. Water looked great and so does the winds for Monday. The birds were really starting to dive bomb and pick up bait fish...you should have a terrific day! We are heading back out tomorrow for Round 2
          2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Great work guys. Big stripers from a kayak -- that's good stuff.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

goproo19 1 88 low.mp4 good report Jeremy, its always nice to catch a new best size fish! Who knows maybe do it again tomorrow, here is a video of my striper, hope it works.
              2014 Hobie Dune Outback
              2013 Ocean Kayak Yellow Trident 13
              Rob

Comment

Those are some great fish, well done!!!
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by yakkinfish18 View Post
                  goproo19 1 88 low.mp4 good report Jeremy, its always nice to catch a new best size fish! Who knows maybe do it again tomorrow, here is a video of my striper, hope it works.
                  Doesn't look like the link worked
                  Mike

Comment

Nice fish!

Comment

Nice fish! Maybe I'll join you guys tomorrow. Way to go! And I agree with Shady lol...
                      Shane Majewski
                      Trident 13, Hobie outback

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                        The pressure really wasn't bad, maybe a total of 5 boats in a 2 mile radius around us
                        Dang, that's pretty light pressure. When Cliff and I hit it bigtime in 2012 we'd be fishing in a pack of boats so close together that we could of have a casual conversation with 5 boats. That was just off from Stump Point near the Perryville cartop launch. That was a good year. Everyone was catching. Cliff... you still out there somewhere???
                        Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Nice job! I'm so jealous right now...haha.
                          Sun Fishin'

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post
                            Dang, that's pretty light pressure. When Cliff and I hit it bigtime in 2012 we'd be fishing in a pack of boats so close together that we could of have a casual conversation with 5 boats. That was just off from Stump Point near the Perryville cartop launch. That was a good year. Everyone was catching. Cliff... you still out there somewhere???
                            I took Cliff up there a few times and showed him a few spots...then when he was fishing all day while I was working I got really jealous because that year was hot! He moved up to PA. I texted him about a month ago but he didn't get back to me so I'm not sure if he's still fishing or not. We also took a carp trip together and got a nice one.

I remember that day off Stump point. You aren't joking. I remember fishing the day before and catching them there, then all of a sudden word must have gotten out because the whole Pennsylvania Navy was out that next day. That was the same day I fished with Chexone and we found a school of schoolies and I got 70 fish before they shut off. I was calling Shady to come over and he was just pulling up as the bite died off.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                            Kokatat Pro Staff
                            Torqeedo Pro Staff
                            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                            Alan

Comment

I still got a few that day!

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
                              Ryan
                              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment