Togging is getting better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Togging is getting better

The tog are starting to bite a little better in OC. I tried the bulkhead after work one evening this past week and picked up a few shorts. This afternoon I had a short window to get out with the kayak and hooked into 8 with 2 keepers at 17". The throwbacks were just a hair shy of keeper too.
    Brian

Thanks for the update. Ive never caught a tog. Are they in the Bay now?
    Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
    Cobra Explorer

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
      The tog are starting to bite a little better in OC. I tried the bulkhead after work one evening this past week and picked up a few shorts. This afternoon I had a short window to get out with the kayak and hooked into 8 with 2 keepers at 17". The throwbacks were just a hair shy of keeper too.
      What are you using for bait, green crabs?

John
      John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
      MK Endura Max 55 backup power
      Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

I'm going to be in OC on Wednesday evening/late afternoon. I've never fished for tog before. I won't have the yak with me so it looks like I'll be fishing the 4th St. bulkhead. Not sure what type of bait and tackle to use. Any pointers ? Do tog bite at night? If not, I may just bounce some jigs from the bridge and see what I can get. Thanks.

Comment

Yes, Pc4sun, they're inside the inlet now, and sorry Shawn, but tog fishing isn't really a night thing. You'd be better off fishing for striper, shad,and blues around the inlet light lines. I've been using fresh sandfleas and whatever crabs I find flipping rocks at low tide.
          Brian

Comment

Yea, I was told that tog hunt primarily by sight. So, murky water or night fishing No bueno for Mr. Tog.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Thanks for the info. Looks like it's the bridge for me.

Comment

When fishing for tog at the bulkhead do you just drop the bait straight down? Never been tog fishing but found out my father in law loves tog.

Comment

Most of the time I drop straight down or just a few feet off the edge. I don't really cast out unless the tide is slack to avoid extra hangups. I'm not an expert on the bulkhead but I'm quickly figuring out that certain stretches are more productive than others so don't be afraid to move around until you find a good hole. A couple feet can make a big difference too. Use your weight to feel around the bottom and find nooks and crannies.
                  Brian

Comment

Thanks for the info! Now if only I can get out there...

Comment

I do well casting out. Beware of the lady that lives at the house at the end of the bulkhead. She must call "dispatch" 20x's/day. ahaha.
                      Native Slayer 12
                      Native Ultimate

Comment

My best tog from the back bay...
                        A legal one next to bubba...

Native Slayer 12
                        Native Ultimate

Comment

Wow... that's a big tog. Did you use a snafu rig for bubba? Togging in OC can be fun but be prepared to encounter a lot of snags especially if you fish off the side streets adjacent to the bulkhead. This year i'm going to try using a bobber rig.

Btw. this is my first post. Hello everyone.

Comment

Working...
                          X