Flats 4/28 report...boaters said they got nothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flats 4/28 report...boaters said they got nothing

Fished out there with a few guys yesterday. At the end of the day I asked the boaters in the area and at launch how they did. I didn't hear anyone say they caught a fish. Without exception they said it was a very slow day and no fish around.

I beg to differ 12 hookups, 3 broke me off, landed 7. I think Grilled takes some record for 6 hookups with 0 fish. I think his hooks must have been made of aluminum foil. I left the group to fish the other side and caught another nice one in front of 4 boats...I love when we do better than they do Want fish? Get a kayak It certainly isn't easy to find and locate them but once you do, it can make for a great day.

Congrats to YakDiesel on his nice fish. That man was focused when that fish was on the line, dead silence. I think I heard him mutter, "it's good"...softly. He worked his butt off for that one and I was super excited for him. No doubt he put his time in and was rewarded. Not sure how the other guys ended up. Unfortunately a few couldn't get one which is a bummer. It was nice to meet you guys.
    Attached Files

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Haha definitively love getting hooked up next to the boaters. Great job guys. Nice fish Alan and Dan
    2014 Hobie Dune Outback
    2013 Ocean Kayak Yellow Trident 13
    Rob

Comment

I ended up with one fish at 36". Had one other strike, but roughly 30 seconds into the fight, two of the three hooks on the treble straightened and off it swam.

Comment

Originally posted by echo5oscar View Post
        I ended up with one fish at 36". Had one other strike, but roughly 30 seconds into the fight, two of the three hooks on the treble straightened and off it swam.
        I had one a previous year pull the split ring straight. The power of those things is awesome. Save that treble and hang it on the wall!

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
        Alan

Comment

Hey Alan,

Nice talking to you yesterday at the ramp and thanks for all of the advice.

Congrats on another great day fishing the flats. Good fishermen catch fish consistently and you're catching BIG fish consistently!

Wish I could have hooked up with you guys to learn some things. Was a perfect day, though, for my first kayak venture on the bay. Got a good workout...paddled almost 16mi . I'll chalk it up to 'paying my dues'.

John
          John D.
          2015 Hobie Revolution 13
          GO RAVENS!!!
          GO ORIOLES!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
            I had one a previous year pull the split ring straight. The power of those things is awesome. Save that treble and hang it on the wall!
            I bent them back and kept fishing....

Comment

Nice fish Alan, you've got it dialed in!
              Shane
              Hobie Outback

Comment

Awesome. Great job guys. That's the way to do it.

Outback 2015
                Maui

Comment

Nice going fellas!!! I have a feeling this rain will really slow Things down and maybe cripple the rest of the C & R.

Sent from my PM23300 using Tapatalk
                  2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

You were a machine out there. All I got out of the morning was a great hit that evaded my hooks.

I talked to a couple of boaters when I got back around noon and heard the same story, no fish.

It was a great day to be out there at least. Light winds most of the morning with just enough gusting to give me a taste of what to expect on a normal day.
                    Mike

Comment

Awesome fish! Way to represent the kayak fleet!
                      Mike S.
                      Hobie Outback
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Just exceptionally high quality fish. I'm drooling with envy, now living in a country where C&R is illegal

LTJ?

Comment

Whoa! Nice Job!
                          2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

I fished the Flats on Monday from 7:30am until 11:30am. I got totally and utterly SKUNKED!!! I started slinging jigs with 5" soft plastic for 1.5 hours with not even a tap. Then I met up with Alan and others on the Flats around 9:00am. Alan had already bagged several nice stripers. Then he proceeded to catch another biggie when I was still within shouting distance. I got a few nice pics of that striper. I re-rigged for trolling and proceeded to troll the same area until 11:30am with not even a sniff. I threw in the towel and took out at 11:30am.

I should add that the FF was totally blank most of the times. There wasn't a hint of stripers in the area and only very modest showing of bait here and there. Other years when I'd be in good striper action the FF screen would be splatted with heavy marks to include big balls of baitfish. But in spite of a lack of marks, Alan kept catching and catching. Gotta hand it to Alan. He had those fish dial in bigtime. It was good fishing with you guys.
                            Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Nice job and nice fish!! You certainly have put in your time over the years, congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X