Yak fishing near OC this weekend...need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yak fishing near OC this weekend...need advice

Pretty new to yak fishing and this weekend we are headed to OC with the family. My son and I plan to sneak off Saturday morning on the yaks to see if we can land some big fish.

It looks like there are a lot of flounder being caught around there right now so was thinking of drifting with a buckhair/trailer combo. Any other ideas?

Also, I see a ramp called 'sandy point' on the map and thinking that might be a good place to launch from. Where would you head from there? ....or is there a better place to launch from?

Love this board and have learned a ton on here over the last few weeks.

Jeff

I am not familiar with that launch. If this is your first time fishing OC I would suggest you stay away from the rt. 50 bridge. With a new moon the current will be ripping. The rt. 90 bridge is a much better option. There is a nice launch at the Isle of Wight that allows you access to the bridge. There have been reports of flounder and decent size stripers being caught there.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Does anybody try the Bay behind Assateague?
      I get the beach tag for the truck every year, and have yet to bring the yak for the back bay...

Comment

I tried Sinepuxent bay once last year with no luck. I launched from the park so I didn't get up to the bridge, there may be more action there. Have not tried further down into Chincoteague bay.

Comment

Originally posted by burk504 View Post
          Pretty new to yak fishing and this weekend we are headed to OC with the family. My son and I plan to sneak off Saturday morning on the yaks to see if we can land some big fish.

It looks like there are a lot of flounder being caught around there right now so was thinking of drifting with a buckhair/trailer combo. Any other ideas?

Also, I see a ramp called 'sandy point' on the map and thinking that might be a good place to launch from. Where would you head from there? ....or is there a better place to launch from?

Love this board and have learned a ton on here over the last few weeks.

Jeff
          I know of a South Point at the end of Rt. 611 in OC, but only Sandy Point I know of is of course at the BB. The ramp at the bridge going over to Assateague is nice and I think you may be able to beach launch there as well and avoid the fee, but check at the park office to be sure. That would put you in some good flounder territory around the bridge channels, and then paddle North to the buoy near FrontierTown and try both sides of the channel ledges there.

Comment

Originally posted by Hemingway View Post
            The ramp at the bridge going over to Assateague is nice and I think you may be able to beach launch there as well and avoid the fee, but check at the park office to be sure.
            Launched at the beach several times last summer trying to avoid the ramp fee and DNR gave me a written warning because I didn't pay. They told me I still need to pay just to park there. Now when I launch there I just park across the street at the NPS Visitor Center for free. I refuse to pay to launch a paddle kayak.

Might have a chance at a few specks there too as some were caught there last year this time. I know stripers are there now.

Originally posted by kaya king View Post
            Does anybody try the Bay behind Assateague?
            I get the beach tag for the truck every year, and have yet to bring the yak for the back bay...
            I launched once once from the first ORV dune crossover (Fox Hill) about 2 years ago just to see what it was like. Pretty shallow; caught one dink striper and saw lots of rays. I'm sure there is fish there somewhere, but I feel like it's better behind Assateague from South Point north to the inlet as opposed to further south.
            Brian

Comment

Working...
            X