A sigh of relief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A sigh of relief

Two weeks ago, I made a post bemoaning my inability to find stripers in the Severn in the spots that produced well last April http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...-in-the-Severn. It turns out the the cool weather delayed the fish from showing up where I had expected them a few weeks back. After 4 consecutive trolling skunk trips in the Severn, my lucked changed today.

When I arrived at Jonas Green about 9:30 this morning, the wind was blowing directly downstream with 1 ft waves. I debated about cancelling the trip, but elected to go ahead and fish. I was using the Native Slayer Propel today. It was easy going down-river, with the outgoing current and wind at my back. I decided to try one of the target areas that produced well for me last spring. I deployed 4 medium spinning rods with various paddletail plastic lures. The lure on the right (Specialized bucktail with 4.5" paddletail in electric chicken color) caught the big fish and two of the other three. Last winter I bought several packs of those electric chicken Saltwater Sally lures in the clearance bin at Bass Pro for $0.99. They already more than justified their cost today.

006.jpg 003.jpg

I had nearly finished my first pass through the 200-yard long target zone when one of the rods shook violently. I removed it from the rod holder and knew it was a solid fish. A few minutes later, I had a plump 26" fish in the kayak. That matched my best Severn rockfish ever, and also matched my largest kayak-caught fish from last year. This was not one of the massive spawning fish recently found on the flats by several of our members, but was a very solid Severn fish.

001.jpg

After hooking, photographing, and releasing that big fish, the wind and current carried me nearly a half mile down-river before I finished untangling the lines that got crossed. I worked the target zone a few more times but caught only one more small striper.

I headed back upstream pedaling into the wind. I made it several miles upstream before getting tired. Then I turned and pedaled easily with the current and wind back to the park. I managed 4 stripers today -- 2 downstream from both bridges, 1 upstream from both bridges, and 1 in between the bridges. After getting 4 Severn skunks in a row last month, I am quite happy to catch those fish in the river today.

Here is an observation that I have not fully thought through yet. All four fish were caught when I was moving in the downstream direction. Both the wind and the outgoing tide were moving in that way. I tried to keep my trolling speed between 2.5 and 3 mph. But that speed was the speed over bottom. The current was moving in the same direction at a fast pace, such that my speed through the water was probably between 1.5 and 2 mph. When I moved upstream, I was going against the current. My GPS showed that I was moving upstream at 2.5 mph over bottom, but my actual speed through the water was 3.5 or better.

The water quality (color, clarity) were quite good. But there was quite a bit of small plant debris (Phragmites stems, branches, leaves, etc) in the water that frequently fouled the lures. I did a lot of reeling in to remove debris. But there was no evidence of muddy water in the main stem of the river.

005.jpg
    Last edited by J.A. Veil; 05-02-2014, 07:04 PM.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Excellent job John.

Thank you for finding them and waking them up.

Now maybe they'll start biting in the Severn for everyone.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Great report John! No turning back now
      2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Nice catch John, you earned it! That's a healthy looking Severn rockfish....

ST

Comment

Thanks for the post.

Comment

Looking good John. That's a nice striper there.

Comment

WTG John! I saw those lures in the bargain bin too! My wife said I should get a few but I didn't push it, I just got my fishing line and left! LOL

Comment

Congrats! Fine looking fish.

Thanks for the report John.
                And BTW, nice read. You have quite a flair for writing.
                2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Great job. Hopefully this is just the beginning and more will show up. How fast were you trolling?

Mobile Phone

Outback 2015
                  Maui

Comment

Good job! It's hard to believe you were able to troll 4 lines. With the bigger fish out there I've learned my lesson by getting spun around to the point where even 2 lines can be a burden.

In response to your comment about speed going with the current and wind vs against the wind....I've personally found that it is hard to catch them against the current. That's easy to surmise after years of trolling lures and the majority of the hits coming in predictable directions. However, sometimes the current and the wind are in opposite directions. I encountered this last week for example. The tide was falling but the wind and top layer of water was coming up the bay. The trolling direction of choice is with the tide (or across it). Speed is greatly impacted but I don't find that to matter. The lure action I believe to be important. I was able to go only 2.5 mph against the wind which was just fine. When the tide turned and I trolled with the wind, it was more like 3.5 or even 4.0. It is the relative speed to the water that gives the lure its action.

I tried to show this to yakdiesel when we were out. He was asking what speed am I going. I told him, but I wanted him to match my speed. At this point I worry not so much about speed but the effort I'm putting into peddling. That specific cadence seems to relate to catching fish. Too slow and nothing bites, which I think a lot of the guys on the paddle yaks are finding out. I think it's way better to go too fast than too slow by far.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Kokatat Pro Staff
                    Torqeedo Pro Staff
                    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                    Alan

Comment

Congrats John!
                      2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
                      Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

John, ahh that moment of do i or don't i... glad ya did and were rewarded with some very nice fish!! Thight Lines & Bent Rods Always!!

Comment

Nice John! Way to find them

Sent using Tapatalk
                          -Mustafa
                          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                          2016 Hobie Outback
                          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Just now seeing this report and I am very relieved to see that they have finally moved into the Severn, now I need to get back out there and catch a few of my own. I picked up a pack of electric chicken colored 5" paddle tails and also have some 4" ones from Bust-em Baits after hear some people say they were having some luck with them. I will probably try and go out this week before work and see if I can pick a few up. Thanks again for the report John and hopefully I can report back something similar

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice going john! If your legs were tired, imagine how your arms would have felt. Sounds like you are enjoying that new yak of yours

In general, not just trolling, I've also had more luck when my lure is moving in the same direction as the current. Makes sense: it's what bait would do / the stripers are facing up-current and can see the lure approaching / the lure can go deeper since it's not being lifted by the current.

Sent from my YakPhone using Tapatalk
                              Mike S.
                              Hobie Outback
                              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                              3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Working...
                              X