Goodmorning Severn 5/9/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodmorning Severn 5/9/14

So after a successful day on 5/7/14 I decided to head out again. My girlfriend wanted to test out her new kayak so I went out with her and trolled some lures behind me as we paddled around. I caught the first one about midway up Back creek in 10ft of water, the second came from further back in the creek in 10ft of water, and the third and largest one I caught heading into spa creek on the left hand side in 20ft. they all hit on a 3/4oz chartreuse bucktail with a 5" electric chicken sassy shad. I was also trolling a 3/4oz white bucktail with a 4" white sassy shad but that setup was getting no love. I lost one and the side of the kayak that looked about 18in or so. The map shows where I caught the 3 fish from smallest to largest. Now without further ado........

DSCN0260.jpgDSCN0283.jpgDSCN0285.jpgDSCN0284.jpgDSCN0287.jpg2014-05-09-11-44-17.jpg
    Last edited by dtandrade; 05-09-2014, 12:13 PM.

Damn..... out on Wednesday, and again today? Don't you have a job? lol

Nice job on those striper. Does your girlfriend fish also?
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Those fish are looking plump!
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I dont leave for work until 1:00pm so I have all morning!. Living on back creek makes it easy to walk out back and launch. My girlfriend is not into fishing but she cheered me on! Haha

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Comment

Shady them fatties put up a good fight too!

Comment

Nice report. Mark and I fished the Severn this morning too. We launched from Jonas Green about 7:30 am for a trolling trip. We had two target zones in mind. At the first area, we made a few passes. Mark caught a small striper and I had no bites. We continued heading to the second destination more than a mile away. In the past, sometimes I wind in the lines and stow the rods when I have a long paddle/pedal ahead. Today, we left the lines out. Two-thirds of the way there, Mark headed one way, while I turned the other was to retie some lures. While pedaling slowly and focusing on the tying, one rod started shaking and led to a 22" striper.

I met up with Mark at our second target destination. We trolled back and forth for 45 minutes with little success. I hooked two little guys. We agreed that location #2 was not producing this morning and decided to head back to our starting point. I mentioned that I had caught the 22" fish earlier in an area where I have never hooked one before. We followed my GPS trails back to that spot. We could see a few baitfish flopping around and saw more than a dozen gulls sitting on the water 1/4-mile away. We turned and headed that way. Soon I had a strike so strong that it nearly pulled the rod from the rodholder. I grabbed it in time and began the fight. It probably was not as strong as the one that got away yesterday -- nevertheless, this fish took line and pulled hard. It proved to be a 27.5" striper (my largest ever in the Severn, and my largest Striper from the kayak).

007.jpg Aa.jpg

For the next hour, Mark and I trolled back and forth through the same area. Mark caught two stripers in the low 20s and I had two more of similar size.

001a.jpg 002a.jpg

This morning was an excellent example of the advantages of having a GPS. We moved back and forth many times through the new target area in 12' to 15' depth. Most of our 20"+ fish came from a small area of an acre in size.

003.JPG

After 4 hours of steady pedaling, my old body was getting tired and sore -- we trolled back to Jonas Green. For part of the way, we trolled along the ends of piers. I hooked two more 12" stripers.

Nearly all my bites today came on 4" to 5" paddletails. The 4.5" Saltwater Sally paddletails from BPS were very effective -- especially the electric chicken color.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Great report to John and congrats on your biggest in the Severn. I am glad to see all the success. I hope I can beat my PB as well in the Severn. The electric chicken is proving to be a go to color!

Comment

It was a good morning to be on the water. A bit foggy and drizzly but the wind was calm.

Twenty inch plus stripers are indeed fun on light tackle. Their increase in power over schoolies greatly exceeds their size differential.

The only thing to add to John’s story of the morning is that the second fish I caught had a fishtail in its throat – its meal prior to my bucktail. I took a photo of it and you can just barely see the tail over my thumb. The photo angle is poor but it was hard to hold the fish and take a photo of its mouth. The fishtail was clearly visible to my eye. Further, whatever species it was had yellow highlights on its tail.

D.jpg

So I removed the pinkish Fat Sam that was on my bucktail because the fish with the tail in its throat ate the paddle tale off of the plastic. And I put on this white Slam R with a chartreuse tail. That’s the bait you see here:

E.jpg

With it I caught a 22 inch fatty, my largest Severn striper so far this year.

This was my 3rd trip in 5 days on the Severn. The river has definitely come to life with bait fish and stripers during that time. I hope those of you who want to can get out there soon to enjoy the action.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Nice job to all of you! Sounds like Jonas Green is going to get some kayak cart tracks in the sand this weekend
                  2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Very nice! Good job guys.

Mobile Phone

Outback 2015
                    Maui

Comment

I fished west, north and east of that spot yesterday...but never that exact spot. I did hook into a nice one NW of that spot, also unexpectedly.
                      John D.
                      2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                      GO RAVENS!!!
                      GO ORIOLES!!!

Comment

That is a heck of a fog bank behind you jon....ha ha.
                        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I was thinking the same thing Kevinfry..haha

Comment

Great reports everyone.
                            John Looks like your really enjoying that slayer propel!
                            2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                            2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Just a couple more weeks and those will be dinner!
                              LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                              Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Working...
                              X