Angels and Stripers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angels and Stripers

Raptor, Mrs. Raptor and I launched into Whitehall Bay this afternoon to watch the Blue Angels practice for tomorrow’s air show at the USNA. We traveled toward Greenbury Point to get a good look at the jets as they zoomed up and around the Severn River.

Here’s Mrs. Raptor along the wall on the way to Greenbury Point.

A.jpg

It was not long before we saw the Angels overhead and were treated to an aerial display that was breathtaking. The following photos simply cannot capture the excitement of seeing them in person. Nor do they show how close they actually were to us. I was lucky to capture their images at all because they were flying so fast. They often circled far over the Bay Bridge to regroup and made many approaches toward the Severn. Sometimes they came quite low overhead leaving behind their trailings in the air and the extremely loud roar of their engines immediately above us after they were out of sight.

B.jpg C.jpg D.jpg F.jpg

I like especially this photo of the Raptors and the Angels in one shot. Also notice the osprey watching from its nest.

G.jpg

Of course we did more than gander at the Blue Angels. Raptor and I trolled on the way out and back, stopping only to watch the show overhead. He got three stripers and I got two, each caught on jigs with soft plastics. White or light colored paddletails seemed to be the lure of choice. Here is Raptor with the largest of our catches.

H.jpg

A great day above and below the surface.
    Attached Files
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

THAT is a great day! thanks for the pics! i love aircraft, thus i named my dog jet, and my handle (stupidjet is what i call my dog, thus my previous handle). my wife is going to watch the show tomorrow but i'm unable, but i'll tell you what, their performance at annapolis beats JSOH everytime.
    sigpic

Comment

Great pictures! I spent 8 years in the Air Force and worked those air shows every year. I still get excited seeing the jets.
      Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
      Cobra Explorer

Comment

Very cool Mark! I guess I will miss the Blue Angels, but I'm hoping to get on the water Friday morning!
        2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
        Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

Thanks for the photos. That must have been fun.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I got to see them a few years ago at Baltimore's Sailibration. I got out there in my kayak too as they flew around Ft. McHenry. I'll tell ya, not much beats that kind of experience. Makes you proud to be an American. Thanks for the post, nice job.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
            Alan

Comment

not from this year, but many years back over Annapolis. pretty amazing raw footage.

sigpic

Comment

Wow!

It's fun to see the familiar Severn River landmarks from their vantage point.

Also from the occasional cockpit outbursts of laughter it's clear the pilot is having as much fun "working" as we do watching.

Thank you for posting.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Comment

If you go frame by frame you can find John Veil reeling in a pickerel!
                  2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                    If you go frame by frame you can find John Veil reeling in a pickerel!
                    Nice

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Kokatat Pro Staff
                    Torqeedo Pro Staff
                    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                    Alan

Comment

My folks used to live in Pensacola and the Blue Angels used to practice right over Pensacola Beach. I would see them often when I was visiting. They are impressive. To this day , my first thought when I see them is how glad I am that they are on our side.
                      Hurricane Skimmer 128
                      WS Pamlico 100

Comment

I was thinking the same thing when I saw them buzzing overhead during their practice session.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
                        X