SPSP + Jonas Green 5/22/ 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPSP + Jonas Green 5/22/ 2014

Ever since I got my kayak a year ago, I've wanted to fish the Chesapeake Bay, and in particular, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. Never had the nerve to do it on my own, so I just fished the local reservoirs. This morning I had the good fortune of hooking up with Goody and launched from Sandy Point State Park. It was a fun, memorable day...didn't get skunked, either. Got 5 total: 4 Striper (20.5in, 17.75in, 15in, 8in) + 1 White Perch. Goody got his first striper of the year. He also caught a spinning rod combo (I'll let him explain). Here are some pics from the day:

Goody said that this was a calm day for the Bay Bridge. Picture doesn't show it, but, definitely a little bumpier than what I'm used to in the safe confines of the reservoirs. The water really moves here so you're constantly working in a paddle kayak. You're not over the strike zone for very long when jigging. Got the skunk out of the boat early with a schoolie striper trolling an SXR10, just before this picture was taken.
    IMG_0926.jpg

You definitely feel small out there on a kayak compared to some of the ships that go by.
    IMG_0928.jpg

I've driven a car/motorcycle over the bridge hundreds of times. Never realized how tall the bridge was until seeing it from below. Here's a cool shot of Goody jigging the rocks and flying the Maryland flag on his yak.
    IMG_0930.jpg

Trolling on the way back to the ramp behind Goody.
    IMG_0931.jpg

Largest fish of the day: 20.5 inch striper. Caught on a 10" BKD, jigging a la Shawn Kimbro style in about 22 ft. Caught the three best stripers today jigging BKDs on a very specific spot on the rocks...very specific. Gave this one to Goody for dinner. Thanks for mentoring me today Goody!
    IMG_0934.jpg

As an added bonus, after a quick lunch, we headed over to Jonas Green for a quick troll and finished just as the lightning storms hit. Cut that a little close, but got back in time. Goody got one trolling a bucktail. I think I was dragging a leaf on my x-rap for an hour
    John D.
    2015 Hobie Revolution 13
    GO RAVENS!!!
    GO ORIOLES!!!

Awsome glad ya got out on the bay.me myself im workin up to get big enough balls to go also.ill wait for warmer water temps in case i flip

Comment

John,

Congratulations on your first visit to the Bay and on your catches.

Nice report.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Were u paddling or pedaling

Comment

I was paddling, Goody was pedaling.
          John D.
          2015 Hobie Revolution 13
          GO RAVENS!!!
          GO ORIOLES!!!

Comment

Nice catch.
            Great report. Although you might have just scared me off from trying the Bay Bridge.

Sent from my PalmPilot
            2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
            Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Nice report. My first trip of the year to the BB and JG. I managed to catch a dink (13") with a bucktail and a rod and reel combo (lady fish). John was doing quit an excellent job of jigging. Thanks for the 20.5" for dinner.

I also notice that I didn't hear my FF clicking. Different sound level of the surrounding environment I guess. At the Reservoir I definitely hear it.

At the BB:
              20140522_093156_5.jpg

At JG:
              20140522_154904.jpg

While trolling at JG, caught a 14.25".
              20140522_161526_2.jpg

Outback 2015
              Maui

Comment

Originally posted by Goody View Post
                Nice report. My first trip of the year to the BB and JG. I managed to catch a dink (13") with a bucktail and a rod and reel combo (lady fish). John was doing quit an excellent job of jigging. Thanks for the 20.5" for dinner.

I also notice that I didn't hear my FF clicking. Different sound level of the surrounding environment I guess. At the Reservoir I definitely hear it.

At the BB:
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]11899[/ATTACH]

At JG:
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]11900[/ATTACH]

While trolling at JG, caught a 14.25".
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]11901[/ATTACH]
                Goody,

I have never been out to the BB. I would like to go with someone for my first time. If you go again anytime and you don't mind, I would like to tag along. Please let me know your plans and Ill check my schedule. Any jigging insight would be appreciated.
                Mike

"But by the grace of God I am what I am..." - I Cor. 15:10
                Native Watercraft Slayer Propel - Cooperhead

Comment

Nice work guys. Goody's Severn photo shows bumpier water than the Bay Bridge photo.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice going Gents! Still haven't caught a rock jigging just live lining and trolling. Hopefully this year!

Sent using Tapatalk
                    -Mustafa
                    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                    2016 Hobie Outback
                    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I can't wait to fish the Bay Bridge for the first time.

Comment

Nice Job! I went out at the BB yesterday and got skunked. I still haven't caught anything here jigging. My FF wasn't working so I just tried around the rock pile and some of pilings.
                        2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
                        Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

Originally posted by assists21 View Post
                          Goody,

I have never been out to the BB. I would like to go with someone for my first time. If you go again anytime and you don't mind, I would like to tag along. Please let me know your plans and Ill check my schedule. Any jigging insight would be appreciated.
                          I'll PM you when I go to the pylons.

Make sure you get jig heads heavy enough so you can feel it hit bottom in the current. 3/4oz and up usually will work.

Mobile

Outback 2015
                          Maui

Comment

Nice! One of these days I'll have to get out there (not going solo ...that's for sure) I'm still thinking up some plans for a makeshift outrigger to mount on the rear WS slidetrax to help stabalize in really rough water (just in case) You can go out there when it's a sheet of glass.....and in 19 min it can turn into a washing machine. I know from boating. I can't imagine on my Tarpon. D'oh.

Comment

Working...
                            X