SoMD recon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SoMD recon

Kevin and I met up for the first time since the beginning of the month to do some recon in a new spot. We hit the water at about 4pm, which was about halfway through ebb tide. Water temperature was 71-72*.

We started out trolling various lures favored by stripers, reds, and specks. Kevin hooked up first with something strong, which got us all excited:

It turned out to be his first ray of the day.

A little while later, I landed a 16" striper that hit a salt and pepper with chartreuse tail Bass Assassin Die Tapper. I missed a few more hits before I landed an 11" perch on a chartreuse Gulp grub:

It's been a long time since I brought home fish to eat (I've been catching too many skunks), so I was stoked. Kevin started bailing 16-17" stripers, nice perch, and some croakers in the same area. There might've been another ray in there, too. Then he hooked "the biggest striper I've ever caught!" I've been there when Kevin lost some nice fish, so I raced around to document the momentous occasion:

You'll have to ask him about that one.

I landed a slightly smaller perch, a 16" striper, and an 11" croaker on the Gulp grub before we decided to move on. Meanwhile, Kevin caught some rays and one or two other things.

At the next spot, I caught a 17" striper, two 12" croakers that were pretty fat for their size, and another 11" perch. The cool thing about the croakers and perch was that I caught them on a 3" pearl Zoom curly tail shad. The croakers were all over it even though I don't think it's scented. I could feel them pecking at it but could only land those two. Anyway, things slowed after that, so we headed to one last spot before going back to where we started to try for some top water action. At the penultimate spot, I caught a 11.5" perch that looked like it was much bigger when it came out of the water (apparently, we both need to recalibrate our eyes):

Kevin hooked his 5th and final ray.

I managed one more 16" striper on a Rapala Skitterwalk before we called it a night. All the action for me today was in 5ft of water. Kevin caught rays in anywhere from 2ft to 10ft, I think. Many of my trips this year have been slow, so this was a much needed change of pace. Bringing home some nice perch and a couple croakers was the icing on the cake for me, but seeing Kevin catch his personal best striper and set a new record for hooking the most rays in a day was a nice bonus, too.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Great to see a trip report from you Bill! Nice job!
    Tom

Comment

Great report and good fishing

Sent from the water.
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

In my defense, I was at the point of exhaustion from catxhing all those cow nosed rays! ....I am beginning to hate rays as much as oyster toads.
        My thoery is that the 22 inch rock swallowed the much larger fish I initially had on.......still, it comes close to my yak best rock. I can't seem to break 23 inches

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Nice report guys. It sounds like you had plenty of action and enough big pullage to wear you out.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks, gents. I couldn't resist poking fun at Kevin, especially since he schooled me all winter long on our catfishing trips. Hearing his drag go off had me convinced, too.
            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Good report, thanks for the pics.

Comment

Potomac tribituaries are lousy with rays- I had a 30 minute sleigh ride thanks to a 50 pound cow nose ray hooked on a XR10 XRap yesterday on an outgoing tide- I beached it so I could get my lure back...the ray did not survive...I am in the process of removing all treble hooks on my XRaps- going with singles in the hopes of less foul hooked rays...
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Thanks for the tip.caught 16"striper and good size perch

I Phone

Comment

No problem...always willing to help a fellow kayaker...glad to see your catch.
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

That looked like fun guys. I wish I was there. I am glad I am not the only one to catch cow nose rays. I caught on the other day on the eastern shore. Man, I thought I had a good rock at first.

Comment

Sadly...I hooked all my rays on singled hooked lures....three on gold spoons (that I was trolling in hopes of locating puppy drum). Spoons will stay in the box for a month or so till rays thin out

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Comment

well done guys!
                          sigpic

Comment

Nice work guys! Good recon and good looking eats!

Justin

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X