Skunk Alert : Black Hills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skunk Alert : Black Hills

I fished Black hills from about 5:30 -8:30 last night. I tried fishing some new spots heading out towards the dam. Mostly I tried fishing some points. That turned out to be a Dam mistake. I decided after about one and a half hours to change course and head into Ten mile creek and fish trees. I tried fishing the trees letting Senko's drop down the entire 30' or so. No takers, I fished the steep banks that usually produce for me with Spinnerbaits, Plastic Worrms, and cranks.

Towards dark I went to pull our and there was a guy fishing righ at the parking area with a white bucktail and he got about a 15" bass right as I was telling him about my whoopin. It's pouring salt in a wound. Then a couple guys comebring in their canoe and they had a nice mess of Crappie in a bucket. Sad thing is not one was more than 8".

Not much weedbed growth there yet. Much less than usual. Saw some odd return's on FF. I'm guessing they were bait balls. There was one scull of bait that seem to be enourmous. between 15-20 feet near the bridge.

I tested my fishfinder with a spinnerbait and I could see it clearly when I jigged it up and down under the yak. I kno the FF was working properly.

Of well that's why they call it fishin and not catchin.
    Hurricane Skimmer 128
    WS Pamlico 100

thanks for the report. i dont think ive ever caught a fish in deep water there, always the shore line. gonna give it a try next time
    sigpic

Comment

They will often suspend on those standing tress and hit things on the fall. I've never caught bass that were holding more the 24' deep. I like fishing the steep banks as they will move up and down in depth without having to stray very far. It didn;t serve me well the other night. I've seen quite a few taken in summer drop shotting in 20' around stumps.
      Hurricane Skimmer 128
      WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Black Hills has always been a hit-or-miss proposition for me. It's a complex lake, so getting dialed in on what the fish want and where they're hangin' can be tough.

Comment

Working...
        X