Crabbing from a kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crabbing from a kayak

Has anyone tried crabbing from their kayak? I would assume you would use traps of some kind. Does anyone have a favorite? Does anyone have suggestions on places to go or techniques? I've crabbed in the Assawoman bay by OC my whole life but thats a long way to go and I'd like to find some kayak accessible areas around here. Thanks!
    Jaryd

Corfton, Md

Ocean Kayak Prowler 15

Ocean Kayak Scrambler

Easiest way to get them is already picked over at Costco. Makes it easy to ignore that you're eatingbug meat. :-)
    PigPen - Mt Airy
    Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

There are several good vids on kayak crabbing on you tube.

Comment

I have been crabbing off of my kayak for years, and my canoe even longer. I sometimes run traps, but most of the time I like to run a 300 to 600 foot trot line baited with chicken necks from the international market. Here are a few videos that may help explain it. Crabbing has not been good for the last two years, but there are lots of waters that you can crab in depending on where you live.

Comment

Here is the second video

Comment

if you use traps get the ones that stack in side each other for transporting

Comment

I plan on giving kayak crabbing a try this summer. I will probably go to Carrs Wharf http://www.aacounty.org/recparks/par...m#.U4hbJRZH0lI in Mayo for my initial attempt. It's about a 30 minute drive from Crofton but there is not a lot of parking at Carrs Wharf so you need to get there early. The two other places closest to you would be Jonas Green and the Tucker St./Weems Creek. I bought some vinyl stackable traps from here - http://www.baycountrycrabbingsupply....cessories.html. They make all of their traps and trot lines and use quality materials. They are located in Crownsville which isn't that far from you. The owner is a crabber and if he doesn't answer right away he has always called back. I was told the best time to get in touch with him is after 4pm.
              BRETT
              Red/Yellow COBRA Navigator

Comment

Thanks everyone for the awesome advice. I plan on giving this a try next week. I know crabs aren't really in yet and this year is supposed to be bad, but you can't succeed if you don't even try!
                Jaryd

Corfton, Md

Ocean Kayak Prowler 15

Ocean Kayak Scrambler

Comment

Good luck.
                  With what they are charging for crabs this year I'll be catching my own too, if I want to eat them.
                  2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                  Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

I've been thinking about trying my hand at crabs too. I just looked at the dnr regs. Clear as mud, as usual. Can you take 2 doz without a license or am I reading that wrong????
                    ORANGE NATIVE MANTA RAY 11

Comment

Originally posted by Darryl330 View Post
                      I've been thinking about trying my hand at crabs too. I just looked at the dnr regs. Clear as mud, as usual. Can you take 2 doz without a license or am I reading that wrong????
                      Yes, but hand lines only. You must have a license to use traps, net rings, or trotlines.
                      2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                      Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
                        Yes, but hand lines only. You must have a license to use traps, net rings, or trotlines.
                        Oh wow, new regs for 2014 I see! Before you could use up to 10 traps sans license to keep 2 doz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0iogBK0ucY

I have a feeling that I will be buying more crabs from my buddy in FL than catching them myself this year.
                        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
                          The "license" is the $2 crab stamp on tidal/bay/costal fishing license, right?

Edit add: Never mind, I found it:

Originally posted by DNR
                          Recreational Individual Crabbing License

Recreational Crabbing License is required of persons catching crabs for recreational purposes in the waters of the Chesapeake Bay and its tidal tributaries using any of the following gear: (a) trotline, (b) collapsible traps, (c) net rings (d) seines or (e) eel pots for catching the individual’s own bait. Catch limits are as follows: more than 2 dozen with a limit of 1 bushel, more than 1 dozen with a limit of 2 dozen soft crabs or male peelers
                          Resident $5.00
                          Holders of a resident Chesapeake Bay & Coastal Sport Fishing License or a resident Senior Consolidated Sport Fishing License $2.00
                          Nonresident $10.00
                          Last edited by Cowpokey; 05-30-2014, 01:56 PM.
                          Hobie fleet:
                          2017 Quest 13
                          2015 Outback
                          2014 Outback

Comment

I just handline chicken necks off the kayak in the creeks.
                            sigpic

Comment

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...highlight=crab

Link to an old thread where we were all beginning to start running trotlines. It probably answers a lot of questions. We've honed our skills since the initial runs many years ago.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                              Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                              Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                              Kokatat Pro Staff
                              Torqeedo Pro Staff
                              Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                              Alan

Comment

Working...
                              X