Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Junior is on the Board for the Season. No hooks in leg or paddles lost!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junior is on the Board for the Season. No hooks in leg or paddles lost!

Went to Mallows with my son today to go after bass and snakeheads.

Jacob hooked up quickly with a nice 22 inch channel catfish. It was his biggest catfish yet and it crushed his chatter bait.

Jacob later hooked into a nice snakehead. He got it to his kayak and it would not open it's mouth to get the lip gripper on it's jaw. So Jacob wacked it on the head with our snakehead stick. The snakehead seemed stunned. Jacob wacked it again with the stick and this time the snakehead got angry and went nuts. It got off and swam away. The snakehead was enticed by the same chatter bait as the catfish.

At one point Jacob managed to get his kayak stuck on a large sunken barge metal spike. It fit into a scupper hole right in the middle of the Coosa. Jacob had to move to the front of the kayak an i had to paddle over and lift and push the boat off the spike. He would have gotten wet if someone wasn't nearby to push him off.

Jacob later had several largemouth bass come off and that was the end of his adventures.

I lost two nice largemouth bass within the first hour. Both hit a redfish magic spinner bait with a white curly tail grub on it.
    I finally landed a 15 inch largemouth. For some reason it was bleeding from the corner of the jaw where the lure went in.
    After spooking a snakehead I found a bunch of gars swimming and breaking the surface. They were neat to watch. Saw some small minnows near the sunken wrecks taking refuge from the currents and waves.
    A while later I connected with a channel catfish as well.

We had obligations back home so left after about 4 hours on the water. It was a nice trip with no hooks in my son's calf or paddles lost.

Nice report of a good day of fishing.

Jacob was fortunate the spike went through his scupper and not his hull.

Congrats on your catches.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
      At one point Jacob managed to get his kayak stuck on a large sunken barge metal spike. It fit into a scupper hole right in the middle of the Coosa. Jacob had to move to the front of the kayak an i had to paddle over and lift and push the boat off the spike. He would have gotten wet if someone wasn't nearby to push him off.
      There was a post about exactly that possibility a few days ago. I think that and potential damage to the mirage drive will keep my away.

Looks like there was a good day of catching, congrats to you and your son.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

The scupper holes are very large on the Jackson Coosa, so the metal spike fit in it perfectly. My Native Manta Ray has much smaller scupper holes and the spike wouldn't have fit in that kayak.

Comment

Good report Tom. Congratulations to you and your son on some fine catches. Mallows Bay is an intriguing place to fish -- I tried it once last year and was not very successful, but I can see the strong potential.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I agree John. I've never had an outstanding day there. If my son and I had landed all the bass and one snakehead we hooked into, it would have been a really great day. But considering we were only on the water for about 3.5 hours, we did fine. The water clarity has always been lousy whenever I've been there, so maybe once the grass grows in a bit it will clear up.

Comment

nice catch I had the exact same thing in my xfactor i floated up on a wave and came down on a spike right through the scupper hole i had to put a foot in the water and push myself off left a nice gouge. Ive done well at mallows in 1 out of 3 trips there but haven't been skunked caught all of my snakehead there
              D Hawk
              Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
              Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                There was a post about exactly that possibility a few days ago. I think that and potential damage to the mirage drive will keep my away.

Looks like there was a good day of catching, congrats to you and your son.
                With the dirty water, some of the metal is hard to see. Most of the metal I saw was large round rods, not sharp rods. I would take my hobie when I go again, but I wouldn't get close to the debris. I took the ascend and bumped into a few metal rods. It is a really neat place to visit. I'm taking the family next time, but we will focus more on sight seeing than fishing around the relics.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
                Hobie Outback
                Stand Up Paddle Board
                Pelican 100

Comment

Nice day of fishing, congrats. Man, I love chatterbaits, but I've never caught anything but LMB on them.
                  Mike S.
                  Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                  3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Nice Job Jacob!!
                    2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Working...
                    X