Upper Severn 6/1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper Severn 6/1

I fished the upper Severn yesterday morning from about 6-9. I got six schoolies ranging from 12-16". All but one hit a Lucky Craft SP in a ghost/silver/yellow color. The last hit a scatter rap in white/yellow. I was marking a lot of fish but couldn't get any takers on my usual trolling gear. All looked very healthy.

I saw a couple other kayak anglers and chatted briefly before they headed off. Not sure if they are members or not.

This was my first catch on the new boat. I need to plan better for fishing around structure. I almost lost the first fish while I dug out the paddle to find "reverse"!image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Last edited by dsiekman; 06-02-2014, 09:24 AM. Reason: Pics added
    LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
    Hobie Pro Angler 12

Nice going Doug. Did you find much floating grass in your section of the river? It is a pain in the butt in the section near the bridges. It is not really practical to troll there right now.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
      Nice going Doug. Did you find much floating grass in your section of the river? It is a pain in the butt in the section near the bridges. It is not really practical to troll there right now.
      Thanks, John. There was a little grass but not as much as I expected after reading your report. I was only fouled a handful of times. I also noticed the surface temp was higher than I expected. It was reading 71 at 6 am.

There was some top water feeding early but I was set up to troll. I did see one good sized fish roll on the surface. Definitely keeper sized.

I may try just trolling one line and keep two other rods handy. One with top water and one with a kastmaster.
      Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

I'm not so sure I like the RAM rocket launchers next to the seat. They don't seem to be strong enough to stay upright.
        Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

One other note, based on the advertised running depth of the lure, the strike zone seemed to be at about 5'
          Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

I fished the Severn 6-9 on sun 6/1 and didn't get a bite. Trolled 3/4oz chart bucktail with a few different plastics. Anyone have thoughts where I went wrong? Best day of the year though- gorgeous!

Comment

Originally posted by JP21403 View Post
              I fished the Severn 6-9 on sun 6/1 and didn't get a bite. Trolled 3/4oz chart bucktail with a few different plastics. Anyone have thoughts where I went wrong? Best day of the year though- gorgeous!
              I was trolling three rods to get an idea of what was going to work and switched frequently. All fish were caught on hard baits 3-5" in length and tending towards yellow/white. Although I marked plenty of fish in the channel, they were hitting more up on the flats near shore and structure.
              Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Working...
              X