Mallows Bay - more productive than last year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mallows Bay - more productive than last year

It was a beautiful calm day at Mallows Bay. I launched at 8:15 in my smallest kayak -- a Native Manta Ray 11. I wanted a comfortable but easily maneuverable boat to work around the sunken hulls. I rigged it with two Scotty rod holders on each gear track. It worked fine for a trip like today where I mostly repositioned myself and did not paddle long distances.

001.jpg

Five minutes into the trip, I tossed a Redfish Magic spinner with a white 12 Fathoms Fat Sam mullet to the shaded shoreline. The lure was most of the way back to the boat when a huge mouth engulfed the lure. The fight did not take long -- I soon lifted a 19"-20" LMB onboard.

003.jpg

This is my personal best LMB. Last year I caught no fish out in the bay around the ships. So this trip was already more successful in both quantity and quality.

The catching slowed down after that, but by noon I had caught 4 catfish in the 19"-21" range, and had an even large one pull hard, wrap the line around debris, and break me off (that lost my first Redfish Magic).

005.jpg

I tied on my backup Redfish Magic but managed to hang it up on debris and lose it. That was the end of my larger spinnerbaits. I tried throwing a RattLTrap and caught one more catfish before losing that lure too.

I found two small perch and two more LMBs before stopping for lunch at the ramp. After lunch, I headed up the feeder stream to the right. Last year I found one area that produced several fish for me. Today it still held fish, but they were more catfish. I caught a 19" catfish on a Woody's feather spinner and my ultralight rod and later on a similar spinner made by Bignose on a light rod.

I rarely catch catfish and cannot tell which species I caught today. Some of them were bluish grey in color (like the photo) while others were brown with spots. They were all in the same general size range.

It began to drizzle at 1:30 so I called it a day.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

well done John! congrats on the PB largemouth!

p.s. - the cats down there are usually blues or channels (not sure if there are whites down there?) you can id them by their anal fin (straight edge on a blue and a rounded fin shape on a channel)

Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

NICE bass!!!!! Looks like you had a better outing then me, I fished the banks of Little Seneca lake, and after four missed hook sets I finally landed a LMB. Good looking Kayak by the way.
      Tan-Tarpon 140
      Lime-Pelican Matrix
      Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

Congrats on the PB largemouth!
        2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

John,

Glad you got some nice pullage.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Nice catch. Congrats.

Mobile

Outback 2015
            Maui

Comment

Nice work John! I'm looking forward to getting down there next week.

Sent from my Tricorder
              Mike
              Feelfree Lure 11.5
              Ocean Kayak Zest Two EXP

Comment

Wow. That bass is a beaut!

Sent from my PalmPilot
                2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Yay John! That's a nice adventure. The catfish down there sure are aggressive. Redfish magic spinners always catch fish for me. That's a nice bass for sure.

Comment

Nice report Jon. That LMB is a brut.

Comment

John,

Really nice Bass. . . good on you. Sounds like you lost a bit of tackle. It seems really strange to me that Catfish are hitting lures, I have always thought of them as being the kind of fish you soak stinky organic bait to catch. They must be quite hungry - I imagine if you were to use stinky organic bait you would catch quite a few.

T.
                      Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

I could be wrong, but I think the Blue Catfish is the apex predator on the Potomac. Tidal fish in general seem way more aggressive than lake/reservoir fish.

Comment

Years ago I went on guided trip in the Susquehanna with Bob Clouser, inventor of the Clouser Minnow.

Our target was smallmouth bass on flies.

It was June but unseasonably cool and windy.

We caught smallmouth that day. But we also caught a lot of catfish on Clouser Minnows. It was my first experience with catfish chasing lures.

We were casting from a jon boat as we floated downstream. From that platform we could see the catfish dart up to hit the flies that we were retrieving as fast as we could pull them.

I learned that day that catfish are not just sedentary bottom feeders.
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Terry -

Catfish are attracted to smelly bait, but will also hit lures.

I'm sure that if I had had more large spinnerbaits in my minimal tackle box yesterday I could have continued catching plenty of catfish in the ~20" size range. The water was murky, giving an advantage to lures that had vibration and sound (e.g., spinnerbaits, RattLTraps). I also caught several cats on Gulp up in the creek.

If you are worried about losing tackle, Mallows Bay is probably not a good place to visit. There is so much submerged structure that you often snag something. I must have snagged up at least 30 times. With the exception of 3 lost lures, I could retrieve the snagged lures by paddling back to the spot of the snag and lifting the lure out.

I broke the hook on two small spinnerbaits (a Woody's feather spinner and Bignose spinnerbait) as I used pliers to remove the deeply embedded hook from catfish jaws. All told, I lost 5 lures and had a few other soft plastics torn up. I figure $25 in lure losses -- not too much for a fun day in a unique place.
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis
                            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

John,

What a great day of fishing! I have been wanting to go there myself, but would prefer to have someone to go with. I am finding fishing alone to be a bit boring lately.
                              Laura (aka zeebyrd)
                              Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Working...
                              X