No announcement yet.

Mill Creek/Whitehall Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Without trying to whine too loudly, having a ray take off with a lure while fishing from a kayak is nothing compared to when one hits an outside line on the charter boat and decides to cut across the 5 other lines. (We don't use planer boards but it could conceivably be much worse!)
    Total cluster "F".
    And even worse, the year we tried to use braid. You can never get them untangled!
    And don't even think about trying to grab the line or leader. That stuff could slice your hand open.
    Which is why we went back to mono.
    We get them as close to the boat as we can, and then cut the line.
    The cost of doing business.

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
      Without trying to whine too loudly, having a ray take off with a lure while fishing from a kayak is nothing compared to when one hits an outside line on the charter boat and decides to cut across the 5 other lines. (We don't use planer boards but it could conceivably be much worse!)
      Total cluster "F".
      And even worse, the year we tried to use braid. You can never get them untangled!
      And don't even think about trying to grab the line or leader. That stuff could slice your hand open.
      Which is why we went back to mono.
      We get them as close to the boat as we can, and then cut the line.
      The cost of doing business.
      I can't imagine a six rod mash-up with a CNR doing the weaving. Yup - I think that is the major drawback with braid. If you get a tangle you might just as well get out the knife, save the lures, and start anew. I also think it does tangle easier than mono . . . so it would be real bad with novices, changing back to mono was probably a very good move. I had an interesting observation - in both cases of "testing my tackle to failure" the 20# mono leader broke before the 8# braid. I can't imagine what 30# braid is like - you could probably pull a car with it!

T.
      Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

Most braids over test in breaking strength.
        For example: the Sufix braid that I use for my own fishing is rated at 10 lb. test, but actually breaks somewhere around 18 lb.s
        Mono, Trilene, and Stren, over test as well.
        This is only important if you are entering IFGA weight class records.

From experience, 90%of line failures happen at knots, and the rest occur when there is a knick in the line. I check our leaders every time we catch a keeper fish. Rockfish scales are quite abrasive. We use 30 lb. test leaders, no sense going lighter as the fish are not leader shy.

Whatever advantage we gained by going to braid, thinner diameter and improved sensitivity is more or less negated by the fact that we are using Ugly Stiks, which are very soft and forgiving (and hard for our rookies to break, although a few find a way!).
        We converted back to 17 lb. mono, and I use several different colors, Chartreuse, Hot Orange, and Clear to help get the inevitable tangles out easier.
        I also use Reel Magic religiously before going out.

Comment

Most braids over test in breaking strength.
          For example: the Sufix braid that I use for my own fishing is rated at 10 lb. test, but actually breaks somewhere around 18 lb.s
          Mono, Trilene, and Stren, over test as well.
          This is only important if you are entering IFGA weight class records.

From experience, 90%of line failures happen at knots, and the rest occur when there is a knick in the line. I check our leaders every time we catch a keeper fish. Rockfish scales are quite abrasive. We use 30 lb. test leaders, no sense going lighter as the fish are not leader shy.

Whatever advantage we gained by going to braid, thinner diameter and improved sensitivity is more or less negated by the fact that we are using Ugly Stiks, which are very soft and forgiving (and hard for our rookies to break, although a few find a way!).
          We converted back to 17 lb. mono, and I use several different colors, Chartreuse, Hot Orange, and Clear to help get the inevitable tangles out easier.
          I also use Reel Magic religiously before going out.
          I hear the voice of experience speaking loud and clear. I did check that a knot didn't come undone - the line broke. However, a nick, or blemish, in the leader is very possible. I'm not as careful about checking leaders as you are, although I should be. I seldom, if ever stress my tackle to that extent, I usually run a fairly light drag and increase, little by little, as the fish tires. In this case I knew it was a CNR and went for . . . either I pull the lure out or my line breaks. I have a really hard time cutting the line. I'm not familiar with "Reel Magic." BTW - have you ever heard of picking up a CNR by the nose? Just curious.

T.
          Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

Blakemore Reel Magic is a spray on line dressing/lubricant that seems to make removing tangles much easier. Dick's and Walmart carry this.

I don't want any part of of landing or picking up a CNR.
            Nasty stingers and they bleed like a stuck pig. Bluefish are bad enough to clean up after!
            Last year we had a crazy client insist that I gaff his Ray.
            I got the ray along side of the boat, and as I tried to raise the leader it somehow broke! (A sharp tug while scraping along the edge of the boat did the trick).
            A steady pull doesn't usually cause a break, it's a sharp impact that does the damage.
            Sorry, that one got away!

Comment

...Last year we had a crazy client insist that I gaff his Ray.
              I got the ray along side of the boat, and as I tried to raise the leader it somehow broke!
              I bet we could have long conversation sharing charter stories.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

Fished the cooling tower on the Severn on Sunday had some luck with wp and croakers. Saw a big CNR out by the bouys. They are xrap lovers.

Comment

Working...
                X