PLO - June 7th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLO - June 7th

According to WeatherUnderground, conditions look good for Saturday.
    The little lady is hosting the Open House at the Lighthouse so I will be driving her down to the park and launching around 9AM.

My plan is to drown a few Spot by the drop offs and wrecks around Cornfield Harbor and the mouth of the Potomac. I'm marking waypoints now.
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Slow day on the 'Mac.
    Got to the launch about a little after 9am. High tide was just peaking.

I mistakenly left my cast net at home so I stepped into the Camp Store to pick up some blood worms. Grabbed a few peelers also. After launching I hung out in Lake Conoy for a bit to catch some spot. I baited a top & bottom rig with bloodworms but the bite was slow. By 10am I had only 2 spot. Good enough... time was slipping by... and I didn't come here to catch spot.

I trolled with a Rattle-Trap for a mile and a half out to the channel and stopped by a wreck along the channel edge. I barely had enough line to set my anchor in 40 feet of water just upstream from the wreck. For the first spot, I decided to use a treble hook rig through the back in front of the dorsal fin and let the little bugger swim away. On another rod I attached peeler to a surf rig with a 2oz sinker and on the third rod I dropped a couple more hooks with bloodworms.

The sonar showed lots of bait balls. And I occasionally spotted some schools on the surface. But no predatory fish. The only action I was getting were barely-legal croaker biting the bloodworms.

After about hour I decided to move. My pet spot was still swimming fine but had found no friends and the peeler was untouched. I pulled up anchor and trolled back towards the harbor to a couple of submerged rock piles about a half mile from shore. I anchored in 20 feet of water just upstream from one of the piles and hard-headedly setup the same configuration. The still-hooked spot swam away full of energy. But alas, all I could pull up were small croaker.

Finally I got a call from the little lady. She was closing up the lighthouse and getting ready to go. I removed the treble hook from the spot and amazingly the little guy swam off, happy to be free again.... I'm just glad I didn't see it get gobbled up by a monster striper as it was swimming away.

I saw lots of other kayaks out there on my way in. Met a guy named Randy in a red Talon who was new to kayak fishing. We chatted briefly. I mentioned Snaggedline to him, gave him a couple of peelers, and wished him luck.

The fishing may have been off, but the little lady said I caught a nice tan.
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Working...
    X