Where to launch for the Flats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to launch for the Flats?

Still very much learning my way around kayak fishing... My wife and I want to take the kayaks out on the Susky Flats this weekend. Where would be the best place to launch from?
    Ascend FS128T

A couple launches pointed out on the attached map
    Attached Files
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Check out these links. I recommend Jean Roberts http://www.dnr.state.md.us/boating/hdg_insert.asp or Perryville Community Park http://www.dnr.state.md.us/boating/cecil.asp for minimal traffic and a free launch

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

just started there this year,tried jean roberts not bad but at upper end of flats,Tydings memorial park was great, right on the flats.it was recomend to me.car top launch is free,and open all hours
        Snow Camo Lure 11.5
        Pod mounted 30lbs trolling motor
        Hummingbird Helix 5
        Kayak fishing and inviting! Doing what I love!

Comment

I've always launched at tydings. It can be a busy Ramp at times.
          Just watch out for all the boat traffic out there on weekends. Some of the guys blaze right on across the water without any concern for how close they get to you.

Last weekend I had 2 boats fly by on either side of me at the same time. First time I've experienced hitting 2 wakes coming from opposite sides at exactly the same time.
          Mike

Comment

Is it too early to throw frogs up there?
            Native Slayer 12
            Native Ultimate

Comment

Absolute best place is Perryville Commmunity Park. There is a free launch there but a little hint from a local. Go to the Park but don't use the Kayak launch. When you enter the park you have to keep right and circle around the point (about a mile) to get to the launch. After you initially keep right, you will pass a few baseball/softball fields. When you naturally would go left to circle the park, take the path to the right down by the baseball field in the corner (larger field). I park on the left down by the field and launch my Kayak there. There is a small beach there with nice shallow entrance into the water. Straight out about 200 yards is the flats. Launching here saves you alot of paddling to get around the point and then out to the flats. It also puts you on the flats without crossing the main channel running north/south from Havre de Grace. Hope this helps.

Comment

gliebug, I was out in Furnace Bay last Sunday and caught a nice 3 lb LM on a frog. I was far back in there where the pads are really thick. It was the only topwater bite I got all morning though.

Comment

I usually put in at the Perryville Park but cheat and just drive left instead of doing the giant loop around to the right. I'm a bad boy.
                  Native Slayer 12
                  Native Ultimate

Comment

Working...
                  X