Marshall Hall 6/7/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Hall 6/7/14

Loaded up last night, went to the pond and caught 4 bream on the fly rod to go with my night crawlers. Knew I was forgetting something. Woke up last night, feeling I was forgetting something. Checked the truck this morning. Seat, vest, rods, crate, bait, coffee, radio, paddle...
    Got to the landing, unloaded the outback, loaded my gear, slapped my forehead PEDALS!!!! Still killed them, and got a workout in, especially paddling back towing these guys. Got a new personal best blue too. Started with night crawlers and a whole bream. Little guys were killing me and really beating the whole bream up. I moved twice towards the middle, them cut the bream up. It was on then....

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Hobie Outback
    Stand Up Paddle Board
    Pelican 100

Too much for me, so I always share with coworkers.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Hobie Outback
    Stand Up Paddle Board
    Pelican 100

Comment

Do you notice any taste difference once they get up into the 30 inch range? I remember seeing someone mention on the forums before that they don't taste that good once they start getting up there in size.
      2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

First ones I've caught in that size from here. I'm the only one in the house that eats them. I kept the smaller fillets for myself and give the rest to friends and coworkers. I do not eat more than what "they" recommend is healthy. I wash all the blood out, cover them with water, add salt and freeze. I haven't had any strong tasting ones, and the Ones I've given away haven't heard any complaints about. Preparation and how you kill them plays a part. I keep them alive till can cover them in ice. Unload the truck, take a nap, then clean them. On a clean fillet, very little blood gets in the meat. Old school skinning, cutting off the head, pulling out the guts usually gets more muck on the flesh. So to answer the original question, no, but only because I haven't eaten any that size. When I'm skinning or filleting them, I remove any meat that isn't white. Some will have some yellow to them. I remove that.
        Hobie Outback
        Stand Up Paddle Board
        Pelican 100

Comment

Nice cats.
          Icing blue cats leads to some very very white filets. Yum! Great job

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Thanks Kevin. One if the bass guys said he couldn't keep the blues off his lures. They were hitting everything he threw, and nearly knocking the rod from his hands. Guess I have more catching to do so he can catch more bass
            Hobie Outback
            Stand Up Paddle Board
            Pelican 100

Comment

That's a lot of kitties!

Sent from the water.
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by clm View Post
                Loaded up last night, went to the pond and caught 4 bream on the fly rod to go with my night crawlers. Knew I was forgetting something. Woke up last night, feeling I was forgetting something. Checked the truck this morning. Seat, vest, rods, crate, bait, coffee, radio, paddle...
                Got to the landing, unloaded the outback, loaded my gear, slapped my forehead PEDALS!!!! Still killed them, and got a workout in, especially paddling back towing these guys.
                Doh!

I thought I had it bad the day I got to the water without my seat.

That's a nice haul you got. They "yellow" is fat (in catfish), which is where most of the bad flavor comes from in all fish. It's best to take the fat out before cooking to minimize the muddy/fishy flavor. Fish fat is all the stuff that turns "grey" when cooked, you can scrape it off with a fork after they have been cooked. Fish with a real mild flavor, like white perch, croaker, walleye, yellow perch; all have fat too, but it's not as noticeable flavor wise, but if you scrape it off of those it will make a noticeable difference too.

I don't know how "bad for you" certain species are, especially when they are big, but we try to minimize the risk also...in accordance with the warnings.
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by clm View Post
                  Got to the landing, unloaded the outback, loaded my gear, slapped my forehead PEDALS!!!!
                  I understand your pain. I got to the ramp last week with my Slayer Propel. After unloading all the gear I realized that my Propel drive was still at home. Fortunately the Slayer hull paddles well. I trolled for about 5 miles under paddle power then worked some shorelines for perch.

Good job on the catfish.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

The Hobie paddles pretty well too....it just pedals even better. Of course next week I will forget something else because I will be focused on the pedal drive.
                    Hobie Outback
                    Stand Up Paddle Board
                    Pelican 100

Comment

Never forgot my pedals but I did forget my paddle once.

I still went out but I was careful about the course I traveled to make sure I had always had a path forward.

Afterward I made a kayak trip checklist that I review before leaving my driveway.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
                      X