Jonas Green June 7, 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jonas Green June 7, 2014

For a change of scenery I decided to fish the Severn Yesterday morning. I was hoping to continue with the same progress I made last summer with the stripers. Trolled my waypoints from past outings with no luck. My favorite spot...trolling the same side as Jonas Green up closer to the Rt 50 bridge closer to the three small flagged buoys. Making numerous passes, only picked up one ambitious perch on a smaller crankbait.

I fished the 450 bridge pylons with bloodworms and picked up a handful of smaller white perch. Then I pursued south of the 450 bridge for the first time trolling a few paddletails and larger roadrunners. I followed the Naval sea wall down to Spa Creek. Between the boat traffic and floating grass, I had no confidence of hooking up, but being that close to the Naval Academy kept my attention. Still a beautiful day fishing with Yakkinfish18 and yakhooker19.

On a personal note, I have not caught a keeper size striper since the catch and release season on the Susquehanna Flats. I have been searching for a nice resident rockfish but have not hooked up with anything over 17". I did catch my first Atlantic Needlefish on the Susquehanna last week. A beautiful and unique fish, reminded me of a ribbon fish with a gar-like snout. I was really excited to snap a few picks when it worked itself of the hook and was headed towards my man region. I panicked and quickly launched the fish a good 20 yards, embarrassingly I quickly threw my lines back in the water and continued my quest.
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Sorry you did not find any bigger stripers in the Severn. They were there during the first two weeks of May, but seemed to have moved somewhere else beyond my fishing range when launching from Jonas Green. From my own experience in Eastern Bay and from what I read on Tidalfish about the main bay, yesterday was a tough bite throughout the mid-bay region.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

The weather was beautiful on Saturday so glad you got to get out. Sorry that the fish weren't cooperating though.

Sent using Tapatalk
      -Mustafa
      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
      2016 Hobie Outback
      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I fished the north side of the mid Severn sun 6/1, sun 6/2 and today to a familiar pattern, no rock and lots of dink perch on bottom fished grass shrimp (freshly caught). I did manage one keeper perch
        each day and released all three. I was casting/trolling two quarter oz jigs with 4" chartreuse gulps, generally a winning combo, but no fish today or last three save for perch.

On the plus side, the water looks good, and I've seen lots of sluffs ( molded crab) in the shallows. There's more healthy looking grass this season, and the usual variety of heron, osprey, etc seem to have no problems fishing.

Maybe the hard winter is having its effects on the normal fish patterns for us human folk. Time will tell.
        Last edited by Fishinfool; 06-09-2014, 12:22 PM.

Comment

I fished the Severn as well Saturday and had about the same results. There was a ton of bunker at the mouth. Schools of bait from young of the year at 1/2" to 4-6 inch bunker were rippling the surface in 20fow. I managed to catch 3 spot and 3 croaker but no rock. Took my one live and a dead spot out into the shipping channel, had a good run on the live one as soon as I put it down but it spit the hook and nothing was interested in dead bait. Covered a lot of water trolling and jigging with just a ray to show for it.

Comment

Working...
          X