Bush River 6/7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush River 6/7

I felt like a change of pace yesterday afternoon, so I figured I'd try my luck in the eternally skunkified Bush River. As a background, I had fished it at least 10 times in last year since I got my yak and have had just as many skunks.

So with all of the reports that perch are making their way back into the rivers further south I figured I'd at least give it a shot and a change of scenery. As I launched from the ramp near the bridge there were a couple of guys reeling in a decent sized catfish on the end of the pier, which at the time I thought was a good sign of the fishing to come. I made my way out along the bridge to find fish breaking the surface all over the place, some even just a few feet from the kayak. Most of them I couldnt really get a good glimpse of and they sounded kind of like they were just slapping their tails on the surface. I had no idea what they were but saw a few good size fish actually come out of the water and thought maybe there were some stripers chasing whatever the smaller ones were. I fished for at least 3 hours trying all kinds of lures and presentations and only got a handful of bumps for the efforts.

I finally gave up on the bridge around 7pm and made my way south to fish some of the shoreline for largemouth. I saw quite a few big fish launch nearly their entire bodies out of the water and again thought I was in for some good luck. I made my way into the small marshy cove and the action I could see was just insane. There were fish chasing something all over that cove. Breaking water, splashing all around, and wake trails that I assumed had to have been decent size fish. Roughly an hour later, after again trying lure after lure after lure to mimic fish, minnows, and frogs, I finally hooked into something. It turns out I had my 1st ever shad, snagged on the trebles of the slashbait I was jerking through the water. I imagine it was shad I was seeing chasing minnows and a few stripers and largemouth breaking the surface going after the shad.

Until yesterday I had never understood the interest in fishing for shad. Had I been using the appropriate lures I imagine I would have pulled in a ton of fish yesterday.

So for anyone that knows how to catch shad and wants to do it, there are an absolutely absurd amount of them in the Bush River right now. My guess is there are so many that my lures just got lost in the mix for the stripers and largemouth chasing them.
    Mike

Hey Mike...Bush River can hold a good amount of gizzard shad being it's a tidal river. Last fall I finally caught stripers in the Bush River. I was trolling the RR bridge, till then I always put the Bush River low on my list even though it is so close. I have heard of fisherman live lining white perch at the RR bridge during the summer months. I plan on fishing there this summer once the perch arrive, might throw out a few crab traps too. I wish there was more structure underwater, it's completely flat for the most part except near the middle of the bridge. I have not done much exploring on the Perryville side, but it's on my to do list
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
      Hey Mike...Bush River can hold a good amount of gizzard shad being it's a tidal river. Last fall I finally caught stripers in the Bush River. I was trolling the RR bridge, till then I always put the Bush River low on my list even though it is so close. I have heard of fisherman live lining white perch at the RR bridge during the summer months. I plan on fishing there this summer once the perch arrive, might throw out a few crab traps too. I wish there was more structure underwater, it's completely flat for the most part except near the middle of the bridge. I have not done much exploring on the Perryville side, but it's on my to do list
      It has been at the bottom of my list too but it certainly is close, so from time to time it keeps getting a little appeal when I get tired of catching the same fish out of the same spots at Mariner Point.

Have you ever tried fishing the flooded quarry at 136 and James Run Rd? I've parked and walked to it once but have never fished it. I don't know what it is, but something about that place just creeped me out a little too much to try fishing alone. I remember seeing a spot that would have been accessible to launch a kayak though. Any if it is anything like the Beaver Dam quarry there are probably some huge fish in there.
      Mike

Comment

I have never tried the quarry. I know Don from Susquehanna River Fishing Club fishes the quarry with his yak and catches LM bass. I have seen pictures from his club's facebook page, just average sized 1-2 lbers. I am not much on fishing ponds and quarries ever since I purchased my kayaks, seems like that's all I could fish while being land locked. I wouldn't mind a recon if crappie were in the quarry, or if you wanted the company...but usually the bass with stripes take priority.
        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

I think I still have a lot to learn for stripers. I got lucky with a 36" in the early C&R season and haven't had any luck since. Last year I caught a couple around or just under 18 but I wasn't really targeting them.

Is the RR bridge north of HDG any good for jigging or live lining? I need a break from miles of trolling with nothing but sore arms from paddling.
          Mike

Comment

Just guessing here too. Like Jeremy said, that shad you snagged was probably a gizzard shad. They rarely hit any type of lure or bait and, for the most part, are considered a trash shad unless you are in search of a fish for cut bait. Gizzards are famous for porpoising on the surface. And those big fish you saw jumping and racing around were probably carp playing grab-arse.
            Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Never tried the Hdg RR bridge. I am usually trolling north at Lapidum or south on the flats. I am sure they are there if the stripers are north and south. I am not the best at jigging, so I usually troll...i remember a post in the fall about someone successfully Jigging the bridge
              2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
              2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post
                Just guessing here too. Like Jeremy said, that shad you snagged was probably a gizzard shad. They rarely hit any type of lure or bait and, for the most part, are considered a trash shad unless you are in search of a fish for cut bait. Gizzards are famous for porpoising on the surface. And those big fish you saw jumping and racing around were probably carp playing grab-arse.
                I've seen carp spawning in the shallows in the past but I was definitely seeing predatory fish taking some feeding leaps. And the ones out by the bridge were in about 11' of water, I don't remember seeing carp surfacing in more than 3-4' at most before.
                Mike

Comment

Working...
                X