LaFarge quarry/pond Rt 136/James Run Rd. Bel Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LaFarge quarry/pond Rt 136/James Run Rd. Bel Air

Has anyone fished this place? Is it allowed?

http://goo.gl/maps/ZInI3
    Native Slayer 12
    Native Ultimate

A couple of us just briefly discussed this place in another thread. I don't know if it is "allowed" but people have/do fish there. I have wanted to try it but something about going there alone has creeped me out too much to try.
    Mike

Comment

Don't mean to bring up an old thread, but did anyone make it to the quarry? Not too many reports on the internet relating to this quarry and was hoping it could yield some crappie. I've read on tidal fish that average bass and large bluegill are staples here.
      2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

I have thought about fishing here too. I don't think I'd feel too safe going alone either. Looks like we might have to give it a try in the spring. Let me know when Sparky.

Comment

Now that I have a ff on the yak, I've thought about giving it a try. But, like others, I don't want to go myself.
          Native Slayer 12
          Native Ultimate

Comment

Im curious, what makes it creepy?
            Jason

Comment

Originally posted by longislandtomd View Post
              Trespassing?

Comment

Originally posted by longislandtomd View Post
                Pic I took last year....

Native Slayer 12
                Native Ultimate

Comment

Clowns walking on water increase the creep factor every time.
                  Jason

Comment

Originally posted by gliebig View Post
                    Pic I took last year....

Awesome gliebig! Pennywise the clown! Great Stephen King TV movie right there! Haha.

Comment

Fished these places many years ago from land. Back then there were No Trespassing signs, danger signs, all over the place. Its is pretty deep in spots, at least 30 years ago it was. Whiteford Stone and Gravel used to own the land, Lafarge probably owns it now, they own pretty much all the gravel and stone quarries. Big hangout for young partiers now. And yes the clown, ah yes the clown, definitely creep factor. Great Pic.
                      Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                      Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by gliebig View Post
                        Has anyone fished this place? Is it allowed?

http://goo.gl/maps/ZInI3
                        =============================================

I've never been there, not even to drive by. I went to the above google site and the satellite view shows there are already 4-5 cars parked in the road-side parking, most likely fishermen or partiers. I then clicked and dragged the "street view" icon down to the road. At the time the google photography car did it's drive-by there doesn't appear to be any road-side signs indicating whether trespassing is prohibited. There is limited roadside parking and a well used path to the lake. Maybe it's heavily posted now, maybe not. I've never been there.

Quarry personnel may tolerate bank fisherman... but kayakers may be another thing.

(I just love the "street view" feature of google maps. I think google maps are updated even couple of years so info shown in the pictures may be a little dated at times.)
                        Last edited by HJS; 12-12-2014, 09:30 AM.
                        Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post
                          =============================================

Quarry personnel may tolerate bank fisherman... but kayakers may be another thing.
                          I talked to a guy over the summer that said he fishes it from his kayak. He said the perimeter is pretty overgrown so there is little access for fishing from shore.
                          Mike

Comment

Think I might do a recon tomorrow from shore...I will post the details
                            2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                            2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                            2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

I have kayak fished there for the past 3 years, maybe 5-6 times a year. I've never had any issues. As already mentioned, the parking is limited. Also the launch is pretty difficult. From the road/parking area you have to drag your kayak up a little hill - about 5 feet high but a little steep. At the crest of the hill there is very little area to move around before the hill starts dropping steeply down to the water. It is about 12-15 feet down and pretty steep. I normally tie a rope or hook a wratchet strap on the kayak to lower it down (attaching a rope/strap to a nearby tree will help a lot when taking out).

I have caught plenty of largemouth and bluegill but no other species. I've heard others talk of smallmouth in there but haven't seen anyone catch one.
                              Jackson Kayak Coosa HD
                              Jackson Kayak Kilroy DT

Comment

Working...
                              X