Fishing Near Towson University??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing Near Towson University??

So I am headed up to Towson for almost a week in July for a lacrosse camp for my son and wondered if there is any place to put in a kayak and fish? Any and all suggestions welcomed...
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13

Originally posted by Eastcoastlaxin View Post
    So I am headed up to Towson for almost a week in July for a lacrosse camp for my son and wondered if there is any place to put in a kayak and fish? Any and all suggestions welcomed...
    Loch Raven is a stone's through away, however you would have to get a boat permit to put in, and sign a waiver stating that Loch Raven, Pretty Boy, and Liberty reservoirs are the ONLY places that you will use that boat...

As an alternative, they do rent boats, and there's tons of spots to hit it from the banks.

Otherwise, there are sections of the Gunpowder River that are open to kayaks that you can try. Trout on the upper (might not be too many stockies left this time of year), and SM/LM bass, perch, and the occasional striper on the lower.
    Ascend FS128T

Comment

there are area's @ 1/2 hourish away from towson to put in. loch raven resevoir is right there 10 miutes away But you won't be able to put in there, yak needs to be registered. can rent boats there or fish from shore. dundee creek, mariner point park, ft armistead pk. are spots that come to mind with easy access. many others depending on how far you want to drive.

Comment

Lake Roland is probably the closest location to fish. It's been talked about here a few times, but not a whole lot. It seems that there are plenty of largemouth, not necessarilly trophy fish though. If you are willing to drive a half hour, most of the upper bay is within reach of Towson. I'm not far, living in White Marsh.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
        Alan

Comment

Loch Raven is definitely the best close by fishing to Towson but you will not be able to use the yak. Even if you were willing to use the yak exclusively at the reservoirs, those permits are issued starting in March and are very limited.

I'll be taking my dad out for a Father's Day trip on Saturday. Their boat rentals are actually pretty reasonable (under $60 for a boat with swivel seats and 50lb trolling motor for the day).

If you decide to try Loch Raven from shore on a weekday I can recommend an area that was really good 5 years ago when I lived in Towson, but the road to get to it is closed for bike riding and walking on the weekends.

As for yak fishing, use the launch site link from the stickied post in the main forum to get an idea where you could go. Towson is 30 minutes from more than a dozen launch locations for fresh and brackish water.
          Mike

Comment

I live in Towson and there isn't a GOOD place near here. Loch Raven isn't too bad, but as others have said, unless you have already purchased your vessel tag (which there is a limited number each year and they sell out within minutes of the release date), you cannot use your own kayak in the water. There is also a minimum length of 12' and no gas powered engines. You can rent a boat or kayak from their fishing shack, but you cannot bring your own yak if it is not registered.
            Lake Roland looks nice, but not much there - unless you like to fish for carp. The "launch point" is at the end of the entrance road and not very good. I talked to a ranger about upgrading it and he told me they know it is a problem, but they don't want to make it better as they want to discourage kayaking there (no idea as to why). Go past the bridge, hang a right and head back to the shallows if you are looking for carp. I have never seen anyone catch anything over 1 lb in that lake and most times nothing is ever caught.
            I have also tried Dundee Creek, but never much luck there with LMB, although I have heard others have done quite well there. Caught my biggest catfish there and snagged a 20+ lb carp there on a rattle trap, but the LMB have eluded me there. Went to Tridelphia once and it wasn't bad, but haven't been back. So, I yak the Susquehanna River or Mattawoman Creek when I want to go fishing. Once I find the best way to secure all my gear I want to start bay fishing, so I would imagine I will discover new places to fish too.
            Dave N.
            Wilderness Systems Radar 115
            - Solar

Comment

if you want to drive a littoe farther, go up 95 to the susquahanna. Lapidum launch is just north of the I95 bridge. Go upstream and you could get into lmb, smb, channel cats, the occasional striper. I haven't het gone downstream out towards the flats, but I'm sure other members will fill you in about that area.
              ORANGE NATIVE MANTA RAY 11

Comment

Thanks for all the replies fellas... Sounds like Im just gonna be a land lover and fish from the shore... Still better than not fishing at all!!
                Ocean Kayak Trident 13

Comment

Try putting your kayak in below the small dam at Lock Raven. I put my canoe in there last year - no problem. It is not part of the impoundment covered by the regs. You can catch bass pickeral ad sometimes rockfish. It is loaded with carp. Also, the stream is stocked with rainbows. The fishing is erratic here. There can be some real good days and some real slow days.

Comment

Working...
                  X