Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cambridge area

Hello,
    New to this forum and from PA. I'll be in the Cambridge area in late July for a work trip and since it's on the water, want to take my kayak and sneak a little fishing in on the trip. I have a Cuda 12 and usually fish lakes and rivers. Can anyone give me some advice on where to get at afternoon/early evening trip in and what to target? I'm up for a near shore bay or river trip, just want to get on the water and have a good opportunity to catch fish.
    Thanks in advance.

I haven't fished Cambridge specifically except for fishing off the Rt. 50 fishing bridge last October in bad rainy chilly weather. I did manage about a 14' rockfish on a one ounce jig and 4' chartreuse gulp. I tried bloodworms on a second rod on the bottom and nothing.

If kayaking, I would put in at the public launch just downriver of the bridge, on the Cambridge side. That time of the summer, I'd get there at the crack of dawn, and/or early evening to dusk and cast a quarter or eigth ounce jig with white or chartreuse gulp in close along the jettys hopefully on an incoming tide. I'd have a second rod with a surf rig bobber and about 3' of leader with some peeler drifting with the current. A third rod I would rig with a one ounce jib for trolling and/or jigging in deeper water around the Rt. bridge pilings.

You might also try a casting/trolling 4 - 6 inch storm shads, and/or bright bucktails with a paddletail soft plastic.

There's a tackle shop on the upriver/Cambridge side where you can chat up the local conditions, and get live peeler, and/or bloodworms. I'd go with the peeler; it eliminates the smallies if you use a half or third (depending on the size of the peeler).

A word of caution; that is big water there and summer squalls come up in a hurry, especially in late afternoon/evening. Watch the forecast, and have a plan to duck in to a sheltered area as the weather can change quickly.

Comment

Check out Blackwater Wildlife refuge. Its right down the road and they have a rooftop only launch and requires a little bit of a paddle.

Also have two rivers nearby in the Chicamacomico and Transquaking River http://itouchmap.com/?d=588755&s=MD&f=stream (you'll see Blackwater to the left)

Comment

Working...
      X