X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC 13-14 Jun Fri/Sat

OC 13-14 Jun Fri/Sat

Fri

Was on the water before 8 am, just before high tide. Met Chex on the water, and we fished the inlet area. I used live minnows and Chex used Gulp. I hooked up what seemed like a barge. Didn't feel like a ray, but I think it was. Hardly a jerk, just very strong pulls. I was so intent of seeing it, but I never got it to the surface. After maybe 20 minutes, it felt like a snag because it didn't move any more. So, I cut it off.

We went to the Rt 50 bridge, then on to the Thoroughfare.

In sum, nothing more than a short flounder, a horseshoe crab, and a mysterious hook-up for me. Chex did well; he caught a keeper flounder, a 23" blue, and several short flounder.

Oh well, I got to watch the Thunderbirds rehearsal that afternoon.

Sat

Was going to Rumbley for the M&G, but changed my mind. Was on the water at OC about 6 am. (Chex didn't stay overnight). Fished inside the inlet and hooked up on five rays within one hour. Lost all my rigs, including my two favorite crankbaits.

I then went to the tip of the south jetty. Two boaters were hooking up on big blues on nearly every drift. I tried everything, but couldn't buy a fish. I tried pearl bass assassin, chartreuse bkd, white curly tail, rat-L-trap, and live minnows. Nothing. I thought blues eat anything. Maybe it was the live lining spot because that's what the boaters were using.

Fished the bridge, and got nothing. I watched other anglers, and didn't see them pull up fish. In the afternoon, I went in and talked to the anglers at the dock. They either caught nothing or short flounder.

Oh, well, I got to watch the air show.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tufnik; 06-18-2014, 06:07 PM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

I didn't know horseshoe crabs were that big.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Sorry to hear the fishing didn't pan out better.

I haven't seen many blues caught off of the tip of the jetty when I've been out but the guys drifting spot around the tip on the incoming were consistently hooking up with bass - some decent sized keepers too. A little too dicey for me off the tip of the jetty during the middle of the current though,
      Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
        Sorry to hear the fishing didn't pan out better.

I haven't seen many blues caught off of the tip of the jetty when I've been out but the guys drifting spot around the tip on the incoming were consistently hooking up with bass - some decent sized keepers too. A little too dicey for me off the tip of the jetty during the middle of the current though,
        It was a bit scary with the waves, not to mention the wake from the big passing boats, at the jetty tip. I had to time my entry in between the boats during the drift. I just had to get me a blue. One of the boaters threw good size blues (20-30") back into the water. Made me cry.

And that's not among the bigger crabs, cowpokey.
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

LOL
          Love the horseshoe crab on the Hawg Trough!
          2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
          Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Sorry the fishing wasn't great Tufnik. It seems flounder aren't here full force yet or they snuck in and snuck out... I haven't read any stelar report about them from OC or even CHSP. Once in a while someone catches a keeper...

At least the air show was nice!
            -Mustafa
            ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Working...
            X