Friday morning on the Severn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday morning on the Severn

I launched from Jonas Green this morning along with another member who's number I've forgotten already. Damn, getting old sucks.

He was crabing on the East side, North of JG, I went looking for perch. I tried numerous spots that normally hold fish but could only foul hook one 9 incher.

I tried all the plastics, buck tails and spinners in my little box and also tried bottom fishing with Fish Bites. Nada. I then decided to troll down to the the YP base and back and that didn't produce either.

I did see one other small perch caught by a guy in a boat under the 450 bridge.

In a way I was lucky though. I saw quite a bit of Cow Nose Ray activity but none hit me.

I met three other kayakers who never heard of this place so I passed on the url. All were very new to the sport.

Regards,

John
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Thanks for the report but sorry to hear it, I was thinking of giving the Severn a go this weekend. And yes getting old does suck.

Comment

Thursday was no better, don't know what's going on?!?

Comment

It's good to know it's not you or me scaring the fish away, Harry.

I was beginning to wonder which one of us was to blame!
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
          It's good to know it's not you or me scaring the fish away, Harry.

I was beginning to wonder which one of us was to blame!
          And Raptor wasn't there so we can't even blame him, but he would have probably caught a Cownose ray.

Comment

Hey John! That was me crabbing. The day started slow but it picked up later in the morning. Ended with about 2 dozen crabs. Did catch 2 croakers. Good meeting you

Originally posted by john from md View Post
            I launched from Jonas Green this morning along with another member who's number I've forgotten already. Damn, getting old sucks.

He was crabing on the East side, North of JG, I went looking for perch. I tried numerous spots that normally hold fish but could only foul hook one 9 incher.

I tried all the plastics, buck tails and spinners in my little box and also tried bottom fishing with Fish Bites. Nada. I then decided to troll down to the the YP base and back and that didn't produce either.

I did see one other small perch caught by a guy in a boat under the 450 bridge.

In a way I was lucky though. I saw quite a bit of Cow Nose Ray activity but none hit me.

I met three other kayakers who never heard of this place so I passed on the url. All were very new to the sport.

Regards,

John

Comment

Hey John! That was me crabbing. The day started slow but it picked up later in the morning. Ended with about 2 dozen crabs. Did catch 2 croakers. Good meeting you

Same here. Glad you had a good day.

John
              John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Well nobody really missed anything today at Jonas except a beautiful day on the water...

Winds weren't really too bad... went north of the 50 bridge.... played the tide and the winds so it was an
                easy paddle...

Met some guy... can't remember his name... "four toes"... "three hops"... too much sun.. my mind is sun burnt...
                Well anyway... figured he'd never see me again so I raided his crab pots.. came home with some big fat jimmies...

I did see the other yakers cars in the lot... didn't see them... or else I would have said hello.

At least it was a beautiful day... I did catch a handful of white perch... and there is lots of activity on the sonar.

R.

Comment

The name is FOURSTEPS. LOL! That was a good one.

Originally posted by rob-kayak View Post
                  Well nobody really missed anything today at Jonas except a beautiful day on the water...

Winds weren't really too bad... went north of the 50 bridge.... played the tide and the winds so it was an
                  easy paddle...

Met some guy... can't remember his name... "four toes"... "three hops"... too much sun.. my mind is sun burnt...
                  Well anyway... figured he'd never see me again so I raided his crab pots.. came home with some big fat jimmies...

I did see the other yakers cars in the lot... didn't see them... or else I would have said hello.

At least it was a beautiful day... I did catch a handful of white perch... and there is lots of activity on the sonar.

R.

Comment

John,

I was one of the guys you met on Friday. Thanks for the referral to the site.

As a thank you, my contribution...not much on Saturday evening either. I stayed mostly around the 450 bridge, in the channel and over the old bridge structure. It was really quiet for a Sat because the clouds kept most boaters in. Sunset looked great....not much action. Two good-sized perch on Rooster Tails. I threw everything in my tackle box and fished for two hours til dark.

Tim

Comment

Same here Tim. I'm glad you found the site and am sure you will fine some great info related to yak buying, building and fishing.

John
                      John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

John, have to pass on my Thanks as well. I am Tim's neighbor and fellow yaker and had not found this site until your insight via Tim. I love kayaking anywhere and everywhere from Potomac to quick runs at Daniels Run to any pond that I might come across along the way. I've got my oldest hooked on it as well, he mainly kayaks the Severn (at the top). Unfortunately have not had the chance this year but that will change soon and fortunately/unfortunately I have another site to monitor and hopefully sometimes post some useful info.
                        Thanks again to you and a good neighbor!
                        R

Comment

Welcome aboard Razorbackyacker. I'm sure you will enjoy the site.

John
                          John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Working...
                          X