Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member here looking for people to fish with.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member here looking for people to fish with.

First off a little bit about me. I am from the Midwest originally and the Army brought me out here about 9 years ago, i left the army 5 years ago and stayed in the area because of work. I love to fish but unfortunately all my friends here do not. I have never been in a kayak, but every year i go back home to do a fishing/canoe/camping trip with my friends from the midwest. We do rivers and lakes all around the area, I just got back from a 1.5 week trip to the BWCA (If you like fishing for northern and walleye DO NOT go here because it will ruin ruin for every other place) and i dont want to wait another year for some good fishing. The only fishing i have done in the area is on the upper potamac from the shore.

So my big question is, where do i start? It is a little overwhelming, if anyone can help out it would be greatly appreciated.

mmmm lunch
    DSCN0221 (1).jpg
    Last edited by displaced angler; 06-23-2014, 10:37 PM.

Well, your welcome to come out on my spare kayak with me sometime and see how you like it. I fish the bay, but if your still pretty fit and know how to swim, there probably wont be any cause for concern.

EDIT: Also, some of the shops in Annapolis have deals where you can try out a kayak for a smaller fee.

Comment

Originally posted by Frogsauce View Post
      Well, your welcome to come out on my spare kayak with me sometime and see how you like it. I fish the bay, but if your still pretty fit and know how to swim, there probably wont be any cause for concern.

EDIT: Also, some of the shops in Annapolis have deals where you can try out a kayak for a smaller fee.
      Wow that is a generous offer, i may have to take you up on that sometime. I have never fished saltwater or tidal water, i am a freshwater fisherman but i am sure my tackle will work out there.

Comment

Where do you live? What part of the Midwest are you from?

There are some freshwater lakes/reservoirs that are good fishing. Nothing like the walleye and northern fishing you mention, but I've found both...along with bass, crappie, white perch, yellow perch, bluegill, etc.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
          Where do you live? What part of the Midwest are you from?

There are some freshwater lakes/reservoirs that are good fishing. Nothing like the walleye and northern fishing you mention, but I've found both...along with bass, crappie, white perch, yellow perch, bluegill, etc.
          I live in Hagerstown, but i am from the Chicagoland area. I have no problem driving long distances for some good fishing.

Comment

I've heard there are walleye in the upper Potomac, but haven't gotten over there to try them yet. Tridelphia Reservoir is about the closest thing to you that I've fished.
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by displaced angler View Post
              First off a little bit about me. I am from the Midwest originally and the Army brought me out here about 9 years ago, i left the army 5 years ago and stayed in the area because of work. I love to fish but unfortunately all my friends here do not. I have never been in a kayak, but every year i go back home to do a fishing/canoe/camping trip with my friends from the midwest. We do rivers and lakes all around the area, I just got back from a 1.5 week trip to the BWCA (If you like fishing for northern and walleye DO NOT go here because it will ruin ruin for every other place) and i dont want to wait another year for some good fishing. The only fishing i have done in the area is on the upper potamac from the shore.

So my big question is, where do i start? It is a little overwhelming, if anyone can help out it would be greatly appreciated.
              Welcome aboard displaced angler. You've found Snaggedline, so you're at home here.
              2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
              Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
                Welcome aboard displaced angler. You've found Snaggedline, so you're at home here.
                Thank you buzz, i am really looking forward to start fishing in this area with some good people. I have been reading through these forums and soaking in some information.

Comment

I am from the Boonsboro area and fish the upper Potomac regularly. There some walleye around but they are few and far between (at least they have been for me). I know Brunswick campground rents kayaks for fishing. Maybe rent one and do a float down to Point of Rocks?? I know the campground offers shuttle services for this float. If you love to fish I cant imagine you wont love kayak fishing! I use to own an 18' flat bottom boat but sold it after a buddy of mine turned me on to kayak fishing.

Comment

Hey, displaced angler.... there is a Meet & Greet this month on the 28th on the Upper Potomac hosted by Monocacykayak. Looks like you might be able to try out a Jackson Kayak there.

And just as an FYI, here's the M&G Schedule...
                    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

I live in the Hagerstown/Boonsboro area and have been bank fishing the Potomac (Williamsport/Brunswick/PoR) for the last few years. I recently got an inflatable kayak and I'm waiting for the Potomac to settle down to try it out. The M&G sounds like a good place to find fishing buddies.

Comment

Working...
                      X