Sandy Point Friday morning (6/27)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandy Point Friday morning (6/27)

Will be heading out on my sorta new Hobie Outback for the first time this up coming Friday. Will probably arrive early morning 6ish, so if anyone is heading out there then, feel free to come say hi. This is my first solo kayak, so it will be a pretty fun new learning experience. Not going to out with high expectations, I am just going to enjoy some me time away from home and the new baby girl. Just bought the papaya outback from Paddle4fish and have over $400 worth of new toys on it's way to be fitted on the yak =D.

Congrats on the new (to you) Outback! I'm seriously considering taking every Friday off until I retire...if I do, I may come out to hook up with you. I don't have any experience fishing Sandy Point, so no expectations here either.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
      Congrats on the new (to you) Outback! I'm seriously considering taking every Friday off until I retire...if I do, I may come out to hook up with you. I don't have any experience fishing Sandy Point, so no expectations here either.
      Thanks man. Just take off and come on out haha. I'm a professional small fish catcher since that's all I seem to catch, but hopfully I can get some live line action for something more tasty. If you do decide to come out early that morning, let me know and I'll shoot over my contact # (same goes for anyone else).

Comment

I'll let you know. Maybe we can get someone with experience to show up and give us a tutorial.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Would be interested in trying the bridge. Never fished there before. Do some bottom fishing. Will be there friday morning if something doesn't come up.

Comment

Well I am far from an experienced "Bridge" fisherman... and hopefully someone will chime in here to help you fellas' out.

Although I did just come off fishing it for 7 hours today.
            Things to bear in mind... expect lots of traffic. Wasn't much today.. but charter boats run the bridge frequently and so do head boats. Some are great at seeing you and powering down not to cause a wake. Others... well thats boating.

Expect a fair amount of current between the pilings. Depends upon the tide swing.
            One rod, two rods, three rods, four rods... ??? well if you got stuff hanging off your yak it's gonna get hung up.

Many of the pilings are concrete inside rusting steel tubes.... ie: lines wrapped around the pilings will get snagged.

There are lots of other places to explore and wrecks, depth ledges... coves, north and south of the bridge, jetties etc...

Far be it for me to really give much advise about the bridge because I am quite the newbie.

So hopefully the veterans will chime in.

Enjoy the day ! A pic below from today :-)

Comment

Originally posted by rob-kayak View Post
              Well I am far from an experienced "Bridge" fisherman... and hopefully someone will chime in here to help you fellas' out.

Although I did just come off fishing it for 7 hours today.
              Things to bear in mind... expect lots of traffic. Wasn't much today.. but charter boats run the bridge frequently and so do head boats. Some are great at seeing you and powering down not to cause a wake. Others... well thats boating.

Expect a fair amount of current between the pilings. Depends upon the tide swing.
              One rod, two rods, three rods, four rods... ??? well if you got stuff hanging off your yak it's gonna get hung up.

Many of the pilings are concrete inside rusting steel tubes.... ie: lines wrapped around the pilings will get snagged.

There are lots of other places to explore and wrecks, depth ledges... coves, north and south of the bridge, jetties etc...

Far be it for me to really give much advise about the bridge because I am quite the newbie.

So hopefully the veterans will chime in.

Enjoy the day ! A pic below from today :-)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12324[/ATTACH]
              Thanks for the info Rob. That Yak of yours look like you were down for all business. How did you do yesterday?

I've fished the bridge a few times but never landed a keeper rock, but had a few hits live lining. I'm just going to go with the mindset that I'm not going to catch anything big =D

Comment

I'm tempted to join as well, but seems I've become a pro small fish catcher lately too...

Sent from the water.
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Do you launch from the $10 boat ramps? Or is there a soft launch?
                  2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                  Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Both... there is no extra charge for cartop launching... $4 to enter, or if it's early or late and the booth is not open... ie: the automated gate... it's $3.

So I guess if you trailer your kayak you may be charge a ramp fee... I don't know.

The boat ramps (there are lots of them) make it super easy to get on the water. The soft launch is not a too far of a drag across the sand. Although, by the soft launch, I imagine the parking lot gets filled up pretty fast this time of year. Because from the soft launch... going south, is the "beach" bathing area.

Comment

Might be a mini meet and greet...

Comment

New to SPSP this year also. But I do know that the park gate fee covers the launch. So no extra launch fee is required.
                        John D.
                        2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                        GO RAVENS!!!
                        GO ORIOLES!!!

Comment

I also have never kayaked from SPSP or around the bridges. Have done some there on power boats in the past but long ago.
                          I'm going to attempt to meet you guys. I'll post back here later in the week.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
                          Don Haller
                          Chesapeake Beach, MD
                          Blaze Orange, Jackson Kayak "Cuda 14"

“There can’t be good living, where there is not good drinking.”
                          – Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Biggrizzly View Post
                            I also have never kayaked from SPSP or around the bridges. Have done some there on power boats in the past but long ago.
                            I'm going to attempt to meet you guys. I'll post back here later in the week.

Don Haller
                            Chesapeake Beach, MD
                            Blaze Orange, Jackson Kayak "Cuda 14"

“There can’t be good living, where there is not good drinking.”
                            – Benjamin Franklin

Comment

We're going to give it a try tomorrow. The weather/wind forecast look good, so hopefully it won't be too choppy. I'll have my daughter along as usual. We won't make it out there at the 0600 start, but will be along after we have some breakfast and swing by Anglers for some paddle tails and jig heads.

I'll have my VHF and will be scanning 16, 22, 68, 69 and 72.
                              Hobie fleet:
                              2017 Quest 13
                              2015 Outback
                              2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X