X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn Report. Monday, June 23.

High tide: @ 3:30 a.m.
    Winds: calm or light
    Weather: sunny about 65 degrees at launch.

I launched early Monday at @ 6:00 a.m. on the north side of the Severn and worked my way downriver past the Rt. 50 bridge to the old RR tracks at Manresa; casting the points around the jettys along the way. I was trolling for the most part though using two rods; a rattletrap on the outside (since the snags are worse with that lure), and a half ounce white jig with a 4' chartreuse Gulp. About halfway I got a huge strike on the jig that I was certain was a keeper rock. Turned out to be a REALLY fat 11.5 inch w. perch, my first monster of the season! I kept trolling downriver, casting the point near the Rt. 50 Bridge, got to Manresa and headed back, trolling all the way.

I got another nice size perch in the same area as the monster, and circled back around a couple of times having identified it as a strike zone. Got one more nice size perch in the 9 - 10 inch range there. I was about 50 - 75 feet from shore in a grassy shoreline area between two jettys. Perhaps the perch were congregated in that area where there was a likely concentration of grass shrimp, or it was close to an oyster bar.

After that, the sun was getting pretty intense and I trolled my way back to the launch area with little action, just a few hits on the rattletrap. I got back at the launch at just after 9:00 am, and had most of the day left to get back to work.

Three takeaways; 1) the larger perch seem to be in the shallows now, but in localized spots, and trolling is a good way to find the strike zones. 2) Now that we're fully in summer mode, lines in the water at first light, or also at dusk seems to trump tide movements 3) Once I located a strike zone, I kept hitting it until the well ran dry, and then I moved on either up or down river.

Here's a photo after frying (Jamaican style) with six perch; three 8 inchers I caught under piers on Sunday in a creek, and the three larger ones. And yes, they all were great eatin' fish!

image.jpg
    Last edited by Fishinfool; 06-24-2014, 01:36 PM.

Looks good! Glad they cooperated for you! I've had zero luck with jigs/bucktails/bass assassins this year. Everything has hit trolled hard baits. I have continued to have luck with the longer baits like XRaps in white or clear with just a touch of yellow. The last two years the magic color was olive.
    LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
    Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Good to know! I am due for a tackle trip and I'll look for the olive etc.! Thx Doug!
      Last edited by Fishinfool; 06-28-2014, 08:56 AM.

Comment

So you fried them Jamaican Style? What was the recipe...the fish looks nice. Were they seasoned with Jerk seasoning before frying?...now I am hungry.

Comment

If ya wanna try something I found... and absolutely fabulous... for 'jerk'...
          Try and get a hold of some of this guys products....
          http://www.doctordreadsjerk.com/
          He has a dry rub and other sauces.

He lives in Bethesda... and a lot of his stuff is produced in Glen Echo, MD.

Irie mo' bettah' stuff....

Comment

My Mom's caregiver is Jamaican and she cooks the fish I catch when I visit. I think she fried them in Goya sazon seasoning with Mrs Dash and a little Accent. She cuts the filet open and adds the seasoning into the opening, then fries them in vegatable or corn oil. A bit different from how I do them myself, but very good!

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
              Good to know! I am die for a tackle trip and I'll look for the olive etc.! Thx Doug!
              I'm working on a hall pass for this Sunday morning. If it works out and you'd like to join me I'd be happy to show you where/what they've been hitting...at least as of two weeks ago. Most of my fishing has been trolling, but I wouldn't mind a little casting as well. I prefer early on Sundays to avoid the yahoos in power boats. I like to be on the water by 6:30 at the latest and off by 9. Unfortunately I can't make weekdays work before about 8:00 and things have just been too busy lately to take a day off. I might try an evening trip tonight.
              LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
              Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Sounds like a possibility. I'll send you a pm either way by tomorrow evening or so. Thanks Doug!

Comment

Working...
                X