No announcement yet.

April Fish - Tog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It broke right in the middle behind the first guide...
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Here's the video Friday put together:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ljc1...e_gdata_player

Comment

I love the countdown to the tog bite!!! LOL

Comment

Nice video. I didn't realize that it was possible to go inside the ships. Pretty cool. Let me know when you want to go for a recon trip.
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Mike .......... absolutely LOVE the video ..........

2 questions ........... what do you look for around the ships to find the Tog Holes .......... and were those hard crabs or peelers

Comment

Congrats on the April fish! I am behind. Hopefully will change that later this week! Nice video. I noticed in the report blue crab worked better than fiddlers. Think about this... fiddlers are not natural in that environment. They didn't work as well as green crabs either, when I lived up north. Try some greenies if they can be had around there next time. Save the blue crabs for lunch!

In spite of the costs and lack of sleep you made the right call. Launched from SPSP on Saturday. Tolled big swimshads, plugs and umbrellas with parachutes. Lots of marks. Lots of chatter on the radio about marking fish but not a lot of catching reports. We fished outgoing. Maybe incoming would be better. Lots of gannets and cormorants.

BTW guys, Hemmingways is off limits. Jimbo checked it out before we hit SPSP on Saturday. Parking lot is fenced off, under construction and no trespassing.

Comment

Wow that's cool.

Makes me what to make the 5 hr drive to get a shot at them.

Comment

Originally posted by jffoley View Post
                  Congrats on the April fish! I am behind. Hopefully will change that later this week! Nice video. I noticed in the report blue crab worked better than fiddlers. Think about this... fiddlers are not natural in that environment. They didn't work as well as green crabs either, when I lived up north. Try some greenies if they can be had around there next time. Save the blue crabs for lunch!

In spite of the costs and lack of sleep you made the right call. Launched from SPSP on Saturday. Tolled big swimshads, plugs and umbrellas with parachutes. Lots of marks. Lots of chatter on the radio about marking fish but not a lot of catching reports. We fished outgoing. Maybe incoming would be better. Lots of gannets and cormorants.

BTW guys, Hemmingways is off limits. Jimbo checked it out before we hit SPSP on Saturday. Parking lot is fenced off, under construction and no trespassing.
                  Sorry guy ........ but the fiddlers are native to there .......... THe drainage ditches around Cherrystone are CRAWLING with them ..........

About the trolling ....... talked to a couple of guys ........ they aren't doing that good either

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                    Sorry guy ........ but the fiddlers are native to there .......... THe drainage ditches around Cherrystone are CRAWLING with them ..........

About the trolling ....... talked to a couple of guys ........ they aren't doing that good either
                    Drainage ditches, sod banks, marsh areas, sure. I meant 25' down next to those ships. No way! They live in the littoral zone.

Comment

Even in the ships the depth was 15-20 and outside was 20-30 in places. As for where to drop, I just poked around with the sinker feeling for sticky bottom. You can tell when 4 oz hits mud or sand vs clanking off a rock and sliding into a hole. We took both fiddlers and hard blue crabs as baits bc we wanted to be prepared for a long day at the first island. They were sold out of green crabs or we would have used those.

Thats tough about the trolling John, did you have your fish finder set up? I'm in the market now... I am thinking of the 385 bc I can get it new for 265. I am worried the screen is too small though.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                        Even in the ships the depth was 15-20 and outside was 20-30 in places. As for where to drop, I just poked around with the sinker feeling for sticky bottom. You can tell when 4 oz hits mud or sand vs clanking off a rock and sliding into a hole. We took both fiddlers and hard blue crabs as baits bc we wanted to be prepared for a long day at the first island. They were sold out of green crabs or we would have used those.

Thats tough about the trolling John, did you have your fish finder set up? I'm in the market now... I am thinking of the 385 bc I can get it new for 265. I am worried the screen is too small though.
                        I like mine but it's within arms reach .......

So How's sunny California ......... winn you get chance to rent a Yak and fish?

Comment

Joe makes another great video. man thats like fishing in a barrel, try togging with 6' seas, 16oz sinkers, ripping tide, freezing cold and 100' deep over a wreck with metal cutting you off, very hard to feel the subtle bite of a tog. looks like fun going to have to take a long weekend in june and go to cherrystone

Comment

Surf you know good and well boat fish don't count! I tried anchoring for about 10 mins and said to hell with that before I lost my anchor.

The ships would "flush" and the water level would go up 5 feet. If you weren't careful your bow or stern would be under a ledge and you would have to ride the bull to hold on. Fishing that pile where Joe got his keeper was very tough bc of the swirling water coming out, the wind blowing you out into the bay, and the tide moving you too. I think it was pretty tough and oddly addicting.

Comment

did you check in with kayak wars? tog count. i just read on chesapeake light tackle that a woman caught a a tog by the gas docks in march. check over on P&S capt. monty had some monster tog caught on his boat

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                                Surf you know good and well boat fish don't count! I tried anchoring for about 10 mins and said to hell with that before I lost my anchor.

The ships would "flush" and the water level would go up 5 feet. If you weren't careful your bow or stern would be under a ledge and you would have to ride the bull to hold on. Fishing that pile where Joe got his keeper was very tough bc of the swirling water coming out, the wind blowing you out into the bay, and the tide moving you too. I think it was pretty tough and oddly addicting.
                                Man ...... sounds like it tested your skills .......

Comment

Working...
                                X