Kent Narrows shows us no love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kent Narrows shows us no love

Raptor and I visited Kent Narrows early this morning.

The wind was blowing hard from the northwest and the current was ripping faster than I had ever seen it.

It was not an environment for a timid or inexperienced kayaker.

We trolled crank baits and soft plastics near the channel markers as much as the conditions would allow.

Occasionally we sought relief from the wind and current and peppered a protected shoreline with casts.

We caught no stripers – just 5 or 6 white perch between us – which is actually an improvement in activity over recent outings. But we wanted stripers.

We crossed under the bridges and worked the concrete breakwater area. It was an easy ride to the other side of the Narrows with the expressway-like current behind us. But it was tough pedaling and paddling again once we got to our spot and circled probable areas. Bait fish were rippling the surface all around us. They passed by us in school after school. But again we caught no stripers despite casting and trolling near the ripples.

Where are the stripers? Evidently rarely near my Revo this year.

Lastly, in good news my new ST fins were helpful today. It was my third time using them and I could feel them bite into the strong current much more than if I had been using my standard fins. They helped me get through a hard outing of nearly five hours on the water in tougher than normal conditions.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Surprised Raptor didn't even hook up a ray. He was always catching them there.

Comment

Harry,

I was his spotter today.

I saw two schools of them.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Go at night, they are always schooled up under the highway lights.

Comment

Working...
        X