Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Severn River producing again! 6/29 fishing report.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn River producing again! 6/29 fishing report.

Fished the piers in Little Round Bay today at about 6PM. This is the first time this season that I was able to get into loads of white perch. The schools were holding in about 8 -9 feet of water around pilings, as I would expect to see. I was most productive on a silver Kastmaster spoon, jigged off the bottom.
    Interesting side note: I threw a few casts with a 3" silver Rat-L-trap, just for kicks. Steady retrieved at a moderate-fast rate. A little catfish hit the lure! I didn't know they actively hit artificials, I've never caught one like this before. Have any of you had similar experiences?

Here's the catfish:
    catfish 6_29.jpg
    “Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead.”
    ―Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea

I've caught catfish on spinnerbaits and even a plain bucktail before. They will bite at just about anything sometimes.
    Mike

Comment

I've also taken catfish on jigs and soft plastics, particularly using scented Berkeley Gulp. Nice report!
      Last edited by JAR; 06-30-2014, 03:24 AM.
      2014 Hobie Pro Angler
      2018 Viking Profish 400 Lite

Comment

Good to hear the Severn is finally alive with white perch.

What surprises me is that white perch will hit Rat-L-Traps and X-Raps that are far too large for them to swallow.

Regarding catfish I have caught them on flies in the Susquehanna.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
          Good to hear the Severn is finally alive with white perch.

What surprises me is that white perch will hit Rat-L-Traps and X-Raps that are far too large for them to swallow.

Regarding catfish I have caught them on flies in the Susquehanna.
          I've caught large white perch in the Patapsco using a huge chunky spinnerbait for bass. Insane little critters.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

I have more evidence to share that the Severn perch bite is improving. I spent 3.5 hours this morning casting to shorelines in Weems and one other tributary. I ended up with 30 white perch and one surprise yellow perch. The white perch ranged from 6" to 10" and gave me plenty of pullage on an ultralight rod. About 2/3 of the fish hit a Bignose spinnerbait; the other third hit a 2" clear twister tail.

I found one particular small area that produced 10 fish in a row -- I left them biting since I had demonstrated they were there in abundance.

003.jpg
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I might like to try that white perch thing. Looks like fun when it gets going. Catfish, especially channel cats will crush artificials. They especially love GULP plastics. I have caught them on spinnerbaits, rattle traps, tubes,grubs, and plastic worms. Last year I even had one slam a joined Rapala that I was fishing as a topwater.
              Hurricane Skimmer 128
              WS Pamlico 100

Comment

I catch blue catfish all the time on a Silver StrikeKing crankbait
                I fish everyday that ends in "Y"

Comment

To supplement the Severn report, I was able to get out today after chores on the "big" boat, and fish thru Mill Creek, not far from Cantler's.
                  Ditto to what has been reported.
                  The perch seemed more oriented towards submerged timber, rather than the docks. There was about 18"- 2 feet of visibility today, and the tide was high, but nothing like Saturday's extremely high water.
                  If I was going to keep a few fish for dinner, I would have had a good meal. A couple of the perch were pretty good sized, one was "big enough to lip".
                  Most of the fish were in about 4-5 feet of water, near tree trunks and limbs.

I experimented with several of my spinner jigs, for comparison purposes.
                  I tried a dual bladed model, a model with a larger diamond blade, much like a Woody's style bait, and my usual single gold bladed bait. All with green emulator bait flash skirts.
                  (I get bored making the same lure repeatedly.)
                  But the most effective model was the "good old" single gold bladed model.
                  Which is good because it is the easiest to make!
                  Last edited by bignose; 06-30-2014, 03:20 PM.

Comment

I've been getting perch near Bignose's area on a silver bladed "jig spinner" with a small jig head and a 2" gulp minnow grub. Also using live minnows on a jig head and/or float.

I'm finding them on timber also.

Bignose: do you have any of your spinners to sell - I'm right up the creek from your big boat and always looking for better producers.

Comment

Originally posted by steventhehistorian View Post
                      Fished the piers in Little Round Bay today at about 6PM. This is the first time this season that I was able to get into loads of white perch. The schools were holding in about 8 -9 feet of water around pilings, as I would expect to see. I was most productive on a silver Kastmaster spoon, jigged off the bottom.
                      Interesting side note: I threw a few casts with a 3" silver Rat-L-trap, just for kicks. Steady retrieved at a moderate-fast rate. A little catfish hit the lure! I didn't know they actively hit artificials, I've never caught one like this before. Have any of you had similar experiences?

Here's the catfish:
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]12432[/ATTACH]
                      I've caught small cats while fly fishing small maribou minnows (size 12) when the tadpoles are are out.
                      PigPen - Mt Airy
                      Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Working...
                      X