Elms beach windy croaker with Ictalarus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elms beach windy croaker with Ictalarus

After a fairly stupid morning which involved locking my keys in the truck, Bill and I hit elms beach looking for dinner.
    It was slowish but we did catch a few croaker and some nice spot. Very windy from just the wrong direction, but we anchored up and enjoyed it anyway. I caught all my croaker and one spot on peeler crab. I caught the rest of my spot, including a 10 incher on nightcrawler. Bill was using shrimp and i don't know what else. Elms beach is an interesting spot but the short stretch of sand is really soft and steep, making tipping your yak a possibility. The bottom is really rocky south of the park and sandy out front. Lot's of interesting areas to fish. Usually I catch some rockfish there, but this time there was no sign of anything but croaker, spot and a few cow-nosed rays....and one disgusting oyster toad.

Bumpy today!!

fried croaker with steamed rice and peas
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Dinner is looking good. I launched out of St. Jerome's creek about 330 Sunday. I think elms is not to far from there? Having no previous experience fishing in the area, I bombed. Made it out to the cUt, tide running strong, not sure what to look for and my battery went dead on my FF. So I drifted in that area with gulp, threw some rattle traps, nada. On the paddle back, pitched some beetle spins along grass edges thinking they looked fishy and maybe a WP might be enticed. No luck. Beautiful area and I will be back. Buss's marina is great.

Comment

Nice work on the fish guys. Fish looks tasty too! Really need some St Marys somewhere in my future

Comment

Originally posted by camelbird View Post
        Nice work on the fish guys. Fish looks tasty too! Really need some St Marys somewhere in my future
        fishing VERY slow down here right now. I'd save your gas unless ur looking for croaker.

Comment

Nice haul Kevin! And the dinner looks like nice comfort food bro!
          -Mustafa
          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
          2016 Hobie Outback
          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

You ought to be on Food Network! Yum.
            Hurricane Skimmer 128
            WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
              Nice haul Kevin! And the dinner looks like nice comfort food bro!
              I'd like to catch a croaker large enough to roast Mustafa style LOL. I think 16" minimum for that

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                I'd like to catch a croaker large enough to roast Mustafa style LOL. I think 16" minimum for that
                LOL!! I would want to be there with you bro to share in the honor
                -Mustafa
                ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                2016 Hobie Outback
                2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

16 inches? When I was learning how to Masgouf my fish, I used a 12.5 inch and a 13 inch perch on a skewer. They were great!

Also, Kevin, you know it was going to be a windy day since you had Bill along.....

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
                    16 inches? When I was learning how to Masgouf my fish, I used a 12.5 inch and a 13 inch perch on a skewer. They were great!

Also, Kevin, you know it was going to be a windy day since you had Bill along.....
                    it was literally dead calm till we launched.....I swear. By the time we got to our spot.....water over the bow.

Comment

Working...
                    X