Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3rd of July... near the "Towers of Doom" on the Severn....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd of July... near the "Towers of Doom" on the Severn....

3rd of July... near the "Towers of Doom" on the Severn....

Had to get out and do a traditional "fish" for the 4th of July... made a mad dash
    yesterday before Hurricane Arthur came up the coast. Winds this morning are
    between 20 and 30 knots...

Hoping that I wouldn't get caught in a thunderstorm, I stayed close to shore
    some where near the "Towers of Doom" on the Severn.

I trolled for a little while and a storm approached... and caught a 10 inch perch on
    a chartreuse jig with a white Gulp.

Winds picked up and surf got a bit choppy, and I got a bit frightened as a lightning flashed
    a heck of a lot closer than I expected. Moved inside a breakwater for protection
    and caught a croaker.

The storm passed and I went back out into the bay... caught a bunch more croakers.
    Shrimps and fishbites bloodworms (on the same hook)... figured it couldn't hurt.
    Used fresh shimp and cooked frozen... didn't matter which shrimp.. both worked.
    Fished in about ten feet of water near a deep ridge.
    Probably could have limited out on the croaker because they were still biting.
    But the weather had predicted the "real" storms were coming in near 5pm so
    I left. Got back to port and the skies darkened.... some how missed any
    serious storm on the ride back home but arrived to have downed trees and
    debris all over neighborhood.

All the fish I caught were keepers except one. All were at or over ten inches.
    Lost three that came off double hook ups... and another that jumped out of
    my hands.
    Have a good 4th group !

Last edited by rob-kayak; 07-04-2014, 08:56 AM.

Ah man that weather was nuts yesterday. You're a brave dude! I've been stuck out on thunderstorms twice that were not predicted and came out of nowhere...it's scary on a little kayak. I don't think I've ever pedaled as fast for so long to get back to shore.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
      You're a brave dude!
      That was a kind comment... I actually consider it rather stupid of me. There wasn't anything on the radar when I left the house... and if I had a cell phone with a data plan I would have been looking at the radar and gotten to land before any lightning strikes might have occurred. I asked a couple of boaters that had anchored in shallow water and were swimming if they had looked at the radar, all the time there were lightning strikes. They said it was inland... but there were some pretty decent strikes close by.

Comment

Originally posted by rob-kayak View Post
        That was a kind comment... I actually consider it rather stupid of me. There wasn't anything on the radar when I left the house... and if I had a cell phone with a data plan I would have been looking at the radar and gotten to land before any lightning strikes might have occurred. I asked a couple of boaters that had anchored in shallow water and were swimming if they had looked at the radar, all the time there were lightning strikes. They said it was inland... but there were some pretty decent strikes close by.
        If you live, it's brave. If you die, it's stupid

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
        Alan

Comment

Nice report! Looks like the summer pattern are in full force. Those towers provide nice structure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Working...
          X