Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4th of July Severn River. White perch bonanza.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4th of July Severn River. White perch bonanza.

I fished for about 4 hours on July 4th, from about 2-5PM and again about 8-9PM. I pulled in more fish than I could count. The exceptionally low tide made getting my lure under piers very easy. I used primarily a 1/2 oz silver Kastmaster spoon. I'd throw it down the center of the pilings under the dock and let it sink all the way down. Almost every single retrieve I'd hook up. Most perch were in the 5-7" range, but I got a few in the 10"-12" range, as well. Seems that the big boys like to hold a little lower than the homogenous sized schools.

I also put a gopro camera on a stick and held it underwater while jigging. I got some cool footage of fish striking my lure. I'll post it as soon as I get it clipped and edited.

There are hundreds of perch circling every dock in the Severn, as far as I can tell. If you can get deep under the docks, you will get fish.

That being said, I was really hoping I could uncover some striper, but I didn't see any evidence of those guys. Oh well, it was a wonderful 4th and this is really a great place to be.
    “Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead.”
    ―Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea

Great thanks for the report!
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Good to know the perch have finally arrived in numbers.

Can't wait to see your video.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Very cool! Yeah Friday was a beautiful day to be out on the water!
        I am not sure if this was always the case and maybe I didn't pay attention before. But I saw this year that there is no size or creel limit on WP in MD with hook and line. 8" size limit applies when you catch them with "other gear"
        http://www.eregulations.com/maryland...ession-limits/

Little fish are awesome when you fry them whole (cleaned and scaled of course). Everything becomes crispy and the bones are crunchy!

This may also mean that we have an alternative to live line if we don't get spot.
        -Mustafa
        ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
        2016 Hobie Outback
        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

There have never been regs for recreational fishing for white perch. We've been using the small ones for crab bait since I was a kid
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
            There have never been regs for recreational fishing for white perch. We've been using the small ones for crab bait since I was a kid
            That's good to know. For whatever reason I used to think the 8" limit applied to hook and line...
            -Mustafa
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Nope, but they're not really worth keeping to eat smaller than 10". That's what I usually set as my personal minimum for the table...
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Sure nice to hear the perch are turning on. If you're fishing the Potomac there's a 6" minimum set by PRFC. MD's DNR gladly enforces that size.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt C-Hawk View Post
                  Sure nice to hear the perch are turning on. If you're fishing the Potomac there's a 6" minimum set by PRFC. MD's DNR gladly enforces that size.
                  Thanks for the info Bob!
                  -Mustafa
                  2016 Hobie Outback
                  2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Originally posted by steventhehistorian View Post
                    I used primarily a 1/2 oz silver Kastmaster spoon.
                    What kind of action do you put on that lure? Straight retrieve - or something else?

The 1/2 Oz. looked big to me so I got a 1/4 Oz. one to try.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Skidsteer View Post
                      What kind of action do you put on that lure? Straight retrieve - or something else?

The 1/2 Oz. looked big to me so I got a 1/4 Oz. one to try.

Thanks.
                      Good question. I like to saddle my boat almost up to the deepest section of the dock (usually the widest part, also) and then cast the lure as far as I can under the dock. Fish are all going to congregate in and around the pilings, bottom structure, and overhead shelter. Therefore, getting your lure in that area as much as possible is the logical technique. My method is to let the lure sink all the way to the bottom and then steady retrieve it back (the Kastmaster's shape waggles and refracts light on a steady retrieve). This way, you're retrieving diagonally all the way through the water column, maximizing time in the strike zone.

For you visual learners, here's a picture:

fishing map.jpg
                      “Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead.”
                      ―Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea

Comment

Got it - thanks. Looks good, I'll give it a try. Nice pic too

Comment

Working...
                        X